News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rail case

Started by conradin, June 29, 2007, 04:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

Awhile ago in *Bay I saw someone selling his entire set of trains.  He put all his rails inside what look like a tool box with compartments. Each compartment he stores specific type of rails: one for straight, one for curve, one for longer straights, etc.

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good carrying case for rails that the rails can be organized inside the case, as opposed to dumping all my rails inside a paper box. 

There is a chance that I will be moving in September, so I need to plan ahead.

My set is in N scale.  You can see my layout from my website to estimate the amount of rails that I have and hence what kind of carrying case I might need.

Thanx

Bojangle

I don't know of any custom rail cases.  When I moved here from KC, I got some file boxes from an office supply store.  They are called "Perma Pak" # 01215.  They come flat to be assembled, with lids, hand holds on the ends.  Very strong, you can stack them as high as needed.   In the storage area of my garage, I have deep shelves,  have used these boxes for 20 years to keep things organized and labeled.
Keep them dry they will last forever.   I have added compartments  using cardboard strips  and foam for more delicate things like cameras or other electronics. (and of course, trains lol)

Bo

Hunt

Time to visit Home Depot and Lowe's. They each have a couple of selections you may like.

ebtbob

Conradin,

I have two carrying cases from A Line.   They are available in the Walther's catalog.   I can put about 12-15 cars in each box that goes in the case and the case holds up to four boxes.   I think they are really worth the money.

Bob 
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

richG

Quote from: ebtbob on June 30, 2007, 08:08:42 AM
Conradin,

I have two carrying cases from A Line.   They are available in the Walther's catalog.   I can put about 12-15 cars in each box that goes in the case and the case holds up to four boxes.   I think they are really worth the money.

Bob 
I have the same cases but I bought the set with five boxes (HO scale) and they all fit in a nylon carry case. They are called Hobby Tote system.
Blue Ridge Hobbies has the best price that I could find. Another fellow in the club I belong to has two sets.
They have a four low side system available for N scale.

Rich

conradin

Quote from: richG on June 30, 2007, 10:47:55 AM
Quote from: ebtbob on June 30, 2007, 08:08:42 AM
Conradin,

Bob 
I have the same cases but I bought the set with five boxes (HO scale) and they all fit in a nylon carry case. They are called Hobby Tote system.
Blue Ridge Hobbies has the best price that I could find. Another fellow in the club I belong to has two sets.
They have a four low side system available for N scale.

Rich

I like both, as I saw them both and are quite handy.  Maybe someday I will get them for the trains.  But right now I am happy with the cases that I have for the trains:
http://www.sohocorp.com/stuffman.html

Individual Project Case Model S-200
# Holds 8.5x11in. documents
# Durable socket and pin hinges
# Retractable carrying handle
# Secure double clasp design

You can get them from hobby lobby for $4.99, with the discount coupon, it will be $3.  I can put close to 3 dozens cars inside the box.  So now I have four boxes: 2 for the cars, 1 for misc items, and 1 for tools.   If I consolidate things I can basically bring all my trains stuff in 3 cases.

But what I need now is a case that carry the tracks.  I can put the tracks inside these cases, too, but it is not as space efficient.  I will easily end up filling up 6 or 7 of these cases.  Not a good idea.  I'd like to find something that resemble an auto mechanic or handyman toolbox that I can put all the tracks inside one box, so I can carry them easily.

PS. These Soho cases are good for N scales.  I have no idea if they fit H0 or not.   But I highly recommend them.  You can also pick up some foam and make them into cushions or liners inside the carrying cases if you are concerned about any damages.  I never need foams or liners, as the case is sturdy enough and I pack my trains carefully.

richG

How about a direct link. I went to Hooby Lobby and all I saw was RC airplane stuff. I searched the site for S-200 with zero results.
The other link was rather poor for describing the case.

Rich

conradin

You need to look for it in the craft sections, usually the area where you can get your stickers and confetti and craft supply.   The craft supply is usually next to the artist supply sections.

conradin

I finally decided, what the heck, let's try to use the S-200 to see how it can hold the tracks, and other stuffs.

My three cases in total can hold approximate 100 N cars...33 cars each.

Then I start measuring the S-200, and start using the tracks to see how they fit.    It turns out that, you can fit exactly 6 10" straight EZ N tracks on top of each other into a stack, and then you can fill up the entire S-200 case with 9 stacks.  That means each case can hold 54 straight EZ N tracks, or 108 5" straight EZ N tracks.   The neat part is that they fit perfectly and pack tightly together with just enough wiggle room space to not be crushed.

Then I try the 6.25" curves.  By connecting two together, they fit neatly width wise, and then you can stack six of these connected pairs together.
Unlike the straight, because they are curved, they can only form 8 stacks.
That means 96 6.25" curve EZ N tracks.  However, the upside of the lost stack is that you can only put the smaller tracks like the bumpers into the space left out by the curved tracks.

I do not have wide radius 19" tracks to test.  Perhaps someone else can get a S-200 and try it out.

My conclusion is that the best way to utilize the S-200 for the simple tracks (straight and curves only) is 4 stacks of straights and 4 stacks of curves.
This make 48 5" straights and 48 6.25" curves.  Then you have some extra space to put bumpers and the smaller tracks, such as the 1" straights.
Coincidentally that is exactly the amount of tracks that I have for my layout!

On to the switches and turnouts.  The crossover is very long, just a fraction  shorter than one 10" straight with two bumpers on each end.  The distance between the two parallel tracks is minute.   In any case, the crossover fit perfectly diagonally across the S-200 case.  That means you probably can stack four or five of those.  The reason why you cannot stack six is that the wires of the crossover will take up space. 
Here is the neat part.  After you put in the crossover, you effectively divide the case into two triangular spaces.  Guess what?  The remote switch fit perfectly in that space.  Again you an stack four or five of them.   Now you fill up one triangular area.  As for the other triangular area?  Perfect for the actual switch boxes!
I do not have the Wyes, but I believe they should fit just like the remote switches.

Since I have one crossover and five remote switches, one S-200 case is good enough to hold all of them.

So at this stage, I have 3 cases for my 100 cars, 1 case for straight and curve tracks plus the bumpers and the 1 inchers.  1 case for the crossover and the switches and their boxes.  A sixth case I can now utilize to put all the misc stuff in it, like the rerailer, both the red and the green wires and the extensions, lubes, bridge piers, and some small tools.

The only thing that the S-200 cannot handle is the cap.  However, if you still use the old black Standard Power Packs, you are in luck as the case can fit four of those.  The new gray controllers, and also the EZ DCC commander is too tall for the case, and even if they fit, their power packs do not.  I do not have Spectrum Magnums to try out, but I suspect they might actually fit.
I actually have enough old black power packs to run my layout.   So now I can pack the packs inside another box.

The conclusion?  You can now look at my train set (click on my url from my sig), and imagine packing the entire layout plus the 100 cars in 7 S-200 cases.  That's $35.00, or if you are really dollar conscious and willing to use the discount coupon all the time, that's $21.  I believe that is cheaper than *one* Hobby Tote white box. 

Now the only thing you need to do is to find one or two basic canvas or athletic bag(s) from Walmart or K-Mart or a flea market to put all the S-200s inside so you can carry them.   

The entire "system", for me personally, would probably cost around $50 at most.   If you *only* plan to carry trains and not the tracks and other stuffs, you probably only need a couple of these S-200s and that should take care of it.

Finally, I discovered that these cases are very sturdy.  I usually use these cases for my watchmaking stuffs, including big old pocket watches, three dozens of them in one single S-200, and then have them stacked on top of each other.  No damages whatsoever: old pocket watches are much much much heavier than plastic trains and tracks.

Hope this helps for those who are into N scales.   Sorry for the H0 people...I do not do H0 so I have no idea how these cases will work out.  But I really suggest giving them a try.  You don't even need to buy it, just bring your loco and an H0 track and go to the local Hobby Lobby and try it out first before buying.
;D

conradin

Two pictures of the cases with trains.

...40 rolling stocks.

...other rolling stocks, including 12 engines.

Hope this helps.