Homemade details for Glenbrook Valley 4-6-0

Started by on30gn15, May 20, 2011, 06:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hey Y'all;

Slooooooowwwwly plodding along. Have had good days this week taking an hour here and there to add some homemade details to Glenbrook Valley 4-6-0 Big Hauler.

Bell rope from model ship rigging thread. Craft eye-pin provided guide loop at base of steam dome.
(still need to replace whistle from last year when Georgie knocked a shelf down on loco siting on floor)

Classification flag holders from odds and ends of brass and plastic with paper flags - white for running extra (as in not a scheduled train)
(Also note loco was changed from wood-burner it came as to a coal burner)
Also pilot deck from Plastruct treadplate sheet. Real one of this vintage likely was not treadplate but I like the visual texture. Plate still needs side sills added.

Control rod and lever for sand dome made out of brass wire and strip. Strip is press fit into slot made by drilling 3 holes then nibbling between with #11 blade.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Took eye pins and craft chain to make it possible to open knuckle by working cut lever.
Next question is how to color chain.

later, Forrest

on30gn15

later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

What is the chain made from? brass steel plated? I often just heat differant metals over a fire then let them cool many turn black. steel chain usually rusts when the water dries, but I like the rust!

NM

on30gn15

later, Forrest

on30gn15

Took back of #11 blade and scraped one link to where it had flat spot and inside looks just like outside.

Package is a couple years gone. Came from one of the craft stores' jewelry sections.
That's the end of what I can give in response. 
later, Forrest

Model Tug

I have used "Blacken-it" available from Micro-Mark   (for brass)
4 oz for $8.95 plus shipping

Rod

on30gn15

Ahh! That is a good idea, Model Tug.

In photo below: have been looking a loco plans and photos which could be located of that era of engines.
Because that long of a sand control rod, something like 11 feet long, would be too bendy - there has to be a guide bracket somewhere.

Think in a couple photos of narrow-boiler locos there is one from handrail to control rod. But on this one they are much further apart.

Hmmmmm...............?

later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!