I have two ovals connected using two Bachman crossovers.  I want to separate
the two and use two separate power supplies, one for each oval.  How can I
disconnect the transfer of current between the two ovals?  Can I simply snip
the red wires in the crossovers? If so, how many should be snipped?  There
are two pairs in each crossover.  Thanks for any info you can provide.  I am
very new as this but have a fair understanding of basic circuits.  This is a
DC only setup using Bachman Easy-Trac.

ACY

Either cut the rails at the crossover or use insulating rail joiners depending on what you are using for your crossover.

regnew

Cutting the rails of the crossover seems a little like brute force. 

ACY

Bachmann crossovers were not made for DC use though, they were made for DCC only.

Doneldon

reg-

Well, it's not "brute force;" it's really a common way to interrupt the current flow. In truth, getting the rail joiners off so you can replace them with insulated rail joiners will probably require more effort and force than merely cutting the rails. Bachmann puts them on to stay. You have to be very careful not to damage the track when removing installed rail joiners.

If you do cut the rails, be sure to CA a thin piece of plastic in the gap and use a scalpel or hobby knife to cut it to the contour of the rails. Otherwise some expansion and contraction could cause the rail ends to touch and short out.

If you remove the existing rail joiners, first use a knife or tiny screwdriver to spread the open end of the joiners, as far as bending the sides away from the rail. (Don't even think of reusing the rail joiners; you'll be disappointed if you try.) then gently wiggle the joiner until the little bond between the bottom of the joiner and the bottom of the rail is loosened. Then go ahead and pull the joiner off. You can carefully slide the rail back into position in the event that you pull it out when pulling on the joiner. Be very careful to put pressure only in line with the axis of the rail. If you twist or go to either side there is a high probability that you'll damage the tiny plastic "spikes" that hold the rail down and keep it in gauge.

I'll bet you're starting to see why ACY's suggestion that you simply cut the rails isn't such brute force after all!
                                                                                                                                                     -- D

regnew

Instead of cutting the rails, why not snip or un-solder the red wires underneath the crossover?  I think these are there to transfer current from one side to the other.  If not, what is their purpose?  Thanks.

jward

if i am not mistaken you have to do this in addition to cutting the rails on a bachmann crossover. perhaps others could further elaborate?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

reg-

Yes. Both must be done. The red wires must
be cut or removed and the continuity of the
rails must be interrupted.
                                            -- D

NarrowMinded

Quote from: ACY on May 25, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
Bachmann crossovers were not made for DC use though, they were made for DCC only.

Are your sure about this? what would make them dcc only?

NM

jward

they are not "dcc only" but they are not gapped for block control either. under traditional dc wiring, there should be a gap in one or both rails between the two switches in the crossover, to isolate the two parallel tracks from each other. if this is not done, you can't run seperate trains on seperate tracks with dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Quote from: NarrowMinded on May 25, 2011, 09:40:20 PM
Are your sure about this? what would make them dcc only?
Without modification you cannot run two trains on DC using the crossover, they were manufactured for use with a DCC layout.

NarrowMinded

I guess I'm missing something, I understand you need to modify them to wire "blocks" for multible DC traims  but I don't understand why you say they were made for dcc, couldn't you use them unmodufied if your only running one train? Just like any track plan that includes turnouts?

I'm curious because my LHS does not carry them and I was going to order one or two for my kids track.

jward

i don't see why you couldn't run them on dc, if you weren't using block control. if they'll work on dcc they will work on dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

If you want to modify (cut) the crossover for block DC use (inside and outside loops on 2 separate, or isolated, circuits),

here are instructions from David Harrison's excellent website:

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

(Scroll to bottom)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

regnew

Thanks for all the responses to my original inquiry.  The last reply from Joe Satnik with a link to another website covers the situation as well as any. http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

Just one point needs clarification.  I am not sure which wire should be disconnected.  Is it one of each pair or all four?