Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Dear regnew,

More discussion:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8052.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

regnew

Dear Joe,
i have followed very carefully the  instructions on modification of Bachmann crossovers for use on a DC application using two power supplies on two connected ovals which were given on David Harrisons's website you recommended.  However, I am still getting continuity using an ohm meter between the matching rails of each oval. The problem seems to be outside each frog for each pair of corresponding rails.  Also, there is still continuity on each pair of rails in the crossover on each side of the cuts in the rails.  I am at a loss as how to proceed.  I have too much invested in the crossovers to scrap them and use #5 turnouts instead.  Any thoughts or suggestions will be very much appreciated \.

Thanks,

John

Jerrys HO

regnew,
on Joe's last link I don't think you scrolled down far enough. it also has step by step instructions and also shows a reply from David H.referring not to cut any wires only the copper strips. hope that helps.

regnew

I read the instructions from David Harrison very carefully and did not cut any wires but severed each of the four copper strips to disconnect the parallel rail as shown in the diagram.  At least I think I made the cut right place on each strip.  Could you further clarify which end of each strip should be severed.

Thanks,

regnew

Jerrys HO

regnew,
Wish I could help more. If this helps you may be able to e-mail hunter2115 and get what you need in detail as it sounds like he accomplished his with success. Click on his profile and send him an e-mail.
Jerry

regnew

Sorry to be a pest, but how do I find the email address for hunter2115?

Thanks,

regnew

regnew

Jerry,

Never mind.  I found it.  Thanks

regnew

Len

This is exactly why Bachmann should include CLEAR instructions in the box on how to modify the #6 crossovers for use with DC layouts. Or better yet, redo them with jumpers that can be added or removed depending on what type of layout they will be used in, DCC or DC.

David Harrison's web page can be helpful, but what modifications to do can be hard to make out in some of the pictures. And referring people to a third parties web page for this information isn't exactly what I'd call good customer service on Bachmann's part.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ACY on May 25, 2011, 10:30:06 PM
Quote from: NarrowMinded on May 25, 2011, 09:40:20 PM
Are your sure about this? what would make them dcc only?
Without modification you cannot run two trains on DC using the crossover, they were manufactured for use with a DCC layout.

To rephrase ACY's reply, they will work right out of the box with multi train DCC operation or single train dc operation but will require modification for multi train dc operation.

I suspect most people wanting to use crossovers with dc are planning a layout with an inner and an outer oval, each controlled by its own power pack, but still have the possibility of running trains from one oval to the other.  Not a bad idea if the locomotives are truly analogue but it may damage decoders if the locomotives are equipped with decoders and being run on dc.  The problem is that under certain circumstances you can end up with double the operating voltage across one of the gaps.  This voltage can easily exceed the maximum voltage limit of a decoder.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jerrys HO

Bachmann makes two versions of this crossover one dcc and the other manually switched without a decoder. I don't know for sure but I bet it would be easier to modify Part #44575 or 44576 than the  44138 and 44137. If so before you buy one decide whether dcc is for you or not. My thinking is the one's without decoders would be the same as two #6 turnout's.
Just thinking, Jerry

regnew

Jerry,
I have both a 44575 and 44576 crossover without decoders for use on a DC only setup. I have experimented by severing both ends of each strip on one of the crossovers.  That has solved the problem of continuity across corresponding parallel tracks.  However, now I have to try to figure out which gap to bridge to allow an engine to successfully make the transition from one oval to the other.  Never a dull moment.  Any thoughts?
regnew

NarrowMinded

It seems like using these crossovers are more trouble then just using two single turnouts with insulating rail joiners to create a cross over

NM

regnew

Great hind sight.  The crossovers looked like a clear deal.  Now that I have them I am trying to make them work.

Joe Satnik

Dear Regnew,

You "bridge the gap" with external DC Block wiring switches, such as Atlas Selector #215. 

It chooses between "Cab A" (power pack A) and "Cab B" (power pack B), to four different sections (blocks) of your layout.   

Each additional Selector allows 4 more blocks the choice between Cab A and Cab B. 

Normal running, with Cab A to the inner loop and Cab B to the outer loop, the inside of the crossover would be "Selected" to Cab A,

the outside of the crossover "Selected" to Cab B. 

When you want to cross over, the blocks on both sides of the crossover must be both Cab A, or both Cab B, not a mix of the two. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ACY

Quote from: regnew on June 15, 2011, 09:53:50 AM
Great hind sight.  The crossovers looked like a clear deal.  Now that I have them I am trying to make them work.
In foresight I saw that the crossovers would be problematic, without having looked at one. That is why I made the statement I did, about them being made primarily for DCC use or for non-block/non-cab control DC use.