News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wiring

Started by regnew, May 25, 2011, 02:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

regnew

Hallelujah!  Success at last.  After some serious clipping and reconnecting of those pesky copper strips I finally came up with the right combination that allows for separate power supplies on each of the two ovals and successful crossover from one to the other.  Many  thanks to all the good folks who offered advise and encouragement, especially to Joe Stanik for putting me on to David Harrison's web site that described the process.  And thanks Joe for your latest suggestion to use Atlas Selector switches.  I had planned to purchase individual toggle switches and make up my own panel, but on Tuesday, while looking for toggle switches at a local hobby shop I saw the Atlas switches and bought both a #215 Selector switch and a #220 Controller for my turn around loop.  Why reinvent the wheel when these are already made for the job.  I had enough trouble modifying the crossovers I don't need to go through more hassle with wiring my own switches.  I must admit, however, that I did learn a lot in my efforts and have really been encouraged by all the helpful folks in the forum.  Remember, we can do anything if we stick to it, the impossible just takes a little longer.

I will probably be back with more questions and problems in the future.

Thanks again,

regnew

regnew

jward

i like the atlas controllers and selectors. they are an easy way to do the wiring.

here's a hint: if you'd like full individual control of each loop, consider divicing them into 3 sections each. for this you don't need to gap both rails, one will do as long as all gaps on both loops are on the same rail. the reversing loop track, of course, should be gapped on both rails at each end. having this many "blocks" wired into the selectors allows you to run both your trains on either track at the same time, and control each one seperately.

all of this is easy to do with selectors.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear regnew

Glad I could help.

Cab wiring is well detailed in the Atlas #12 book, "The Complete Atlas Wiring Book". 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

J o e   S a t n i k
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

regnew

Thanks for the advice about Atlas #12 book "The complete Atlas Wiring Book".  Right now I am using an Atlas book that I purchased back in the early 70's when I was building a layout for my 7 year old son.  It has layout designs as well as wiring instructions.  Some things never change.  Now I'm 74 and back into layouts.