first it was my new 4-8-4 and now it's my new spectrum train ballast MOW vehicle

Started by judgethe, May 25, 2011, 06:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgethe

Quote from: ACY on May 27, 2011, 12:38:47 AM
It doesn't appear that way to me. It appears that he is a victim of terrible luck. Bachmann's packaging isn't as good as it used to be. This seller actually packs things very well in my experience, and a lot better than most sellers who just whatever is cheapest. I have reviewed there feedback on a few occasions and have bought a lot of things from them and have never seen a legitimate case of some receiving a non-new item. The seller can only package the item well and beyond that they cannot control if it gets damaged or is defective. If you lived in the U.S. for about $6-8 you could send your loco to Bachmann and get a replacement and everything would then be fine. The seller cannot control postal costs or where you live or the manufacturer's warranty and policies. If I lived somewhere where postage to/from the U.S. was high I would probably avoid buying things from there because of the risk if something goes wrong. I would pursue local options which has less risk involved. For example say you buy a loco from the U.S. for $100 including shipping, if something goes wrong it may cost you $30-$40 to send it back, whereas you can buy one locally for maybe $120, and can possibly even test it to ensure it works.

so far i bought 5 new bachmann locomotives from the same seller and i would say only 4-8-4 have problem which seller should have done more after i complained to them. our observation on the wheels doesn't receive any reply at all from seller. it's not that i'm asking for compensation from them and as i said as long as it works i can live with that. but ignoring your customer complaint isn't a good sign.

meanwhile the new MOW ballast vehicle doesn't have anything to do with seller at all. fine, someone from bachmann looked at the pic and acknowledged it was broken during transit. i totally disagree because 1 of the peg/hinge doesn't fit with the other one, don't you think that's more like a defective item? if it was really broken during transit, i will just need to apply some superglue and both ends will stick nicely together but that wasn't the case. 

still bachmann refused to verify the tapes in my pics above!

totally agree with you. in the end of the day it's still a risk and i'm no longer interested taking those risk.

Hamish K

It is all very well for people to say that you should not order from overseas but it can be very hard to find particular items in countries like New Zealand and Australia (where I live). Some Bachmann items, readily available from overseas sellers, do not seem to be available from any Australian retailer. I have had retailers order items for me, only to have the distributor tell the shop that they have none and aren't getting any more. In circumstances like that you have no choice.

Hamish

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: judgethe on May 27, 2011, 12:58:42 AM
It doesn't appear that way to me. It appears that he is a victim of terrible luck. Bachmann's packaging isn't as good as it used to be. This seller actually packs things very well in my experience, and a lot better than most sellers who just whatever is cheapest. I have reviewed there feedback on a few occasions and have bought a lot of things from them and have never seen a legitimate case of some receiving a non-new item. The seller can only package the item well and beyond that they cannot control if it gets damaged or is defective. If you lived in the U.S. for about $6-8 you could send your loco to Bachmann and get a replacement and everything would then be fine. The seller cannot control postal costs or where you live or the manufacturer's warranty and policies. If I lived somewhere where postage to/from the U.S. was high I would probably avoid buying things from there because of the risk if something goes wrong. I would pursue local options which has less risk involved. For example say you buy a loco from the U.S. for $100 including shipping, if something goes wrong it may cost you $30-$40 to send it back, whereas you can buy one locally for maybe $120, and can possibly even test it to ensure it works.

so far i bought 5 new bachmann locomotives from the same seller and i would say only 4-8-4 have problem which seller should have done more after i complained to them. our observation on the wheels doesn't receive any reply at all from seller. it's not that i'm asking for compensation from them and as i said as long as it works i can live with that. but ignoring your customer complaint isn't a good sign.

meanwhile the new MOW ballast vehicle doesn't have anything to do with seller at all. fine, someone from bachmann looked at the pic and acknowledged it was broken during transit. i totally disagree because 1 of the peg/hinge doesn't fit with the other one, don't you think that's more like a defective item? if it was really broken during transit, i will just need to apply some superglue and both ends will stick nicely together but that wasn't the case. 

totally agree with you. in the end of the day it's still a risk and i'm no longer interested taking those risk.

IF i remember correctly when i got my AFT GS4 it had tape on the ends. But its been so long since I bought it I can't be 100% sure. I also think my 2 C&O Kanawaha's had tape on them too.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

judgethe

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on May 28, 2011, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: judgethe on May 27, 2011, 12:58:42 AM

IF i remember correctly when i got my AFT GS4 it had tape on the ends. But its been so long since I bought it I can't be 100% sure. I also think my 2 C&O Kanawaha's had tape on them too.

thank you for the verification

NarrowMinded

I don't recall any tape on the inside packaging and I don't see any signs of adhesives left behind as often happens. With reguards to the photo of the well worn box and the condition of the wheels plus the address issue...new? I'd think not That kind of evidence would lead to a conviction in court!

NM

ACY

Quote from: NarrowMinded on May 28, 2011, 06:54:34 PM
I don't recall any tape on the inside packaging and I don't see any signs of adhesives left behind as often happens. With reguards to the photo of the well worn box and the condition of the wheels plus the address issue...new? I'd think not That kind of evidence would lead to a conviction in court!
Actually I got an opportunity to check some of my non spectrum steam locos, some of them had tape, some did not, all of them were originally new. The box appears like some boxes that I have seen that were damaged in shipping. I can't really see the wheels too well in the photo though, without a better picture I can't comment on them. The address issue might have somehow been caused by rough handling in transit, but it also might mean it was returned by the original buyer.

RAM

judgethe

no worries at all... i've move on. yes it was so frustrated but nothing much i can do and i would rather concentrate on my layout now. most importantly both locomotives are running well. just sharing my unlucky experiences and who knows they might be useful to someone one day.

Burto

You should name the seller and let the individual decide whether or not they would buy from that seller.In my rather short term of buying on ebay I have found 3 excellent sellers of Bachmann product.I have also discovered some very deceitful individuals.Buy from an authorized Bachmann dealer.Some resellers buy from reputable Bachmann dealers and then sell at a higher price to the unsuspecting buyer.Ebay has lots of sellers who fail to list faults with product as required.I am from Australia and sending the product back is not an option because of the high freight costs. I would gladly sell the Chinese firecrackers to some US and Australian individuals but in the instructions I would not tell them to 'retire' after lighting the fuse.Unfortunately ebay does nothing about correct listing of model railroad products.Each should have a proforma document to be completed in full before the listing can proceed.Some listings are pathetic and photographs are usually designed to hide the imperfections they are meant to list.My dealings with most used sellers have led me to buy only new.Even so called modellers have sold me their rubbish and a new BLI with Paragon II sound came in a pathetically damaged box.The photo only showed the good parts.I haven't used it yet but I am expecting problems as the seller could not even get the box right.Just a deceitful, conniving, untrustworthy individual who should be eliminated from the hobby.He has quite a lot of companions who have nothing of which to be proud.Hopefully some 'Newbies' read this and stick with reputable dealers only.Buying used has probably cost me $1000 worth to throw in the bin and a mistrust of many fellow human beings.Apologies for the rant.Bachmann responded to my email and replaced an item for me at no cost whatsoever.They accepted my word for the failed power supply and I had a replacement in Sydney in ten days.Looks like you have been deceived and sold used product for new.Send me a private message.
Keep on smiling!The vast majority of people are fantastic.
BURTO

ACY

Burto the seller he purchased from was the Favorite Spot who is an authorized Bachmann dealer. I have never had any issues with them and they are probably one of the "3 excellent sellers of Bachmann product" you mention. I am 99.9% certain that what he received was new product, and that he was just had terrible luck. Burto, is the Favorite Spot a dealer you have dealt with and what were your experiences?   

judgethe

Quote from: Burto on June 06, 2011, 12:57:58 AM
You should name the seller and let the individual decide whether or not they would buy from that seller.In my rather short term of buying on ebay I have found 3 excellent sellers of Bachmann product.I have also discovered some very deceitful individuals.Buy from an authorized Bachmann dealer.Some resellers buy from reputable Bachmann dealers and then sell at a higher price to the unsuspecting buyer.Ebay has lots of sellers who fail to list faults with product as required.I am from Australia and sending the product back is not an option because of the high freight costs. I would gladly sell the Chinese firecrackers to some US and Australian individuals but in the instructions I would not tell them to 'retire' after lighting the fuse.Unfortunately ebay does nothing about correct listing of model railroad products.Each should have a proforma document to be completed in full before the listing can proceed.Some listings are pathetic and photographs are usually designed to hide the imperfections they are meant to list.My dealings with most used sellers have led me to buy only new.Even so called modellers have sold me their rubbish and a new BLI with Paragon II sound came in a pathetically damaged box.The photo only showed the good parts.I haven't used it yet but I am expecting problems as the seller could not even get the box right.Just a deceitful, conniving, untrustworthy individual who should be eliminated from the hobby.He has quite a lot of companions who have nothing of which to be proud.Hopefully some 'Newbies' read this and stick with reputable dealers only.Buying used has probably cost me $1000 worth to throw in the bin and a mistrust of many fellow human beings.Apologies for the rant.Bachmann responded to my email and replaced an item for me at no cost whatsoever.They accepted my word for the failed power supply and I had a replacement in Sydney in ten days.Looks like you have been deceived and sold used product for new.Send me a private message.
Keep on smiling!The vast majority of people are fantastic.
BURTO

i bought new locomotives from the same seller previously and none have any problems. but not sure why my current 2 purchases have problems. anyway, not going further on it anymore. as for me, if the seller and bachmann doesn't appreciate a small tiny customer like me then so be it. the entire thing changed my perception completely, i shifted from hornby to bachmann and i was having high hope but sorry to say that not now, not anymore. 

judgethe

Quote from: ACY on June 06, 2011, 01:42:48 AM
Burto the seller he purchased from was the Favorite Spot who is an authorized Bachmann dealer. I have never had any issues with them and they are probably one of the "3 excellent sellers of Bachmann product" you mention. I am 99.9% certain that what he received was new product, and that he was just had terrible luck. Burto, is the Favorite Spot a dealer you have dealt with and what were your experiences?   

yes i'm aware that favoritespot have good track records but like i said my previous purchases from them got no problems. but when things like these happened twice recently and both, the seller and bachmann customer service just treated me like an idiot. i learned important lesson from these 2 incidents so for me, i just look elsewhere after this.

just look at how bachmann refused to acknowledge the tapes issue... i've been asking that same question again and again in my post but still none of the officials say anything.

judgethe

this thread/topic is no longer needed. if the manufacturer don't appreciate a small tiny customer from this part of the world so be it. i'll just move on.