News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

model verification

Started by jesseg, June 17, 2011, 12:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesseg

i'm not sure what model HO engine i have to order the correct replacement parts. any help?

ACY

No help for you since you gave us no info about your locomotive and no picture. When you can provide that, I'm sure someone could help.

Jim Banner

Based on the information you gave, that it is an H0 locomotive, how about I give you some help in the form of a suggestion:

Go to Google, select images, and search model HO locomotive.  You will get photos by the hundreds.  Find one that looks like your locomotive, click on it, and hopefully the article will tell you what type of locomotive is shown in the photo.

An alternative source of photos is eBay.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

jess-

The shape of the model and the wheel pattern are MUCH more important in finding your loco than the paint job. Indeed, just looking for a compatible paint job will often lead you astray. By the way, keep the loco you are trying to identify in front of you during your search. Lots of engines look pretty similar, and it can be difficult to remember exactly what your loco looks like after you've peered at dozens on the web.

A couple of hints: Steam or diesel? Coal or oil in the tender if steam. Wheel pattern for steamers. (Look at the number of axles in the front non-powered truck, the number of driven or powered axles, and the number of non-powered axles in the truck behind the powered axles. Be aware that there may be two sets of drive axles on really big locomotives. Yes, some trailing trucks are powered but not by the big rods which drive the main large wheels. You can code your wheel pattern in the form truck-drivers-truck, eg., 2-6-2.)

Wheel pattern for diesels: (This means the numbers of wheels in the trucks and how many trucks, all coded as A for one axle, B for two axels and so on. You will undoubtedly find lots of engines with two trucks, each of which has two or three axles. These would be called B-B AND C-C, respecively.) Then look for distinguishing features like whether the loco looks like a box car with a sculpted cab up high on the front,  whether it has pantographs on the top to collect electricity, or whether it has a more industrial look with doors and louvers all over and probably a narrow walkway on both sides of the engine. Are there curves in the design or are things more angular? Are there louvers on the sides? If so, how many and where? Are there fans on top? Again, how many and where? Do parts of the top extend out from the main body of the engine? How many headlights? Placed high or low? Horns? Bells? Window patterns? Railings?

By now you should have enough variables to confidently and accurately identify your loco. Good luck and have fun.
                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

jward

better yet, post a clear photo here, and we can help.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA