News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 consolidation and 18" radius

Started by Ol Hoss, May 26, 2011, 09:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol Hoss

Can a Consolidation 2-8-0 steam loco be run on a track with 18" radius EZ track? Also, what is the longest wheelbase steam loco that will operate on the 18" radius? Could you please reply based on the wheel count?

jonathan

All of my Bachmann 2-8-0 versions will pass through 18" radius curves with ease. Two of my Consolidations will pass through a 15" radius curve, one will not.

As to the other wheel arrangements, it gets iffy.

Some have reported that their 2-8-4, 4-8-2, 4-8-4, 2-10-0, 2-10-2, and 2-6-6-2 will pass through an 18" radius curve, but it is not recommended.  Bachmann recommends at least a 22" radius curve for the larger (8 coupled) wheel arrangements.  One is rolling the dice with 18" radius.

I have the 4-8-2 and 2-8-4 arrangements.  They will pass through a 22" radius curve with no problems.  Have not tried 18" radius with my larger locomotives.

The Bachmann catalog lists the recommended radii for each of their locomotives.  The on line product reference does not for some reason.  Hope this is useful for you.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Since the "What radius?" question comes up a lot on the forums, and a lot of folks don't have a Bachmann catalog, it would be a 'good thing' if the recommended curve size info was included in the on-line Product Reference.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hawaiiho

Quote from: Len on May 26, 2011, 10:34:21 AM
Since the "What radius?" question comes up a lot on the forums, and a lot of folks don't have a Bachmann catalog, it would be a 'good thing' if the recommended curve size info was included in the on-line Product Reference.

Len

I, whole heartily, second that suggestion.

Will

ACY

The 2-8-0 will have no issues with 18" radius, however I would not go sharper than 18" radius, as mine will not make 15" radius.
For these: 2-8-4, 4-8-2, 4-8-4, 2-10-0, 2-10-2 Attempting to run them on anything less than 22" radius is a huge gamble as most will not make it, if you can test the loco out on your desired minimum radius before purchasing that would be ideal. I have also seen a 2-6-6-2 that had issues with 18" radius becuase the wheel base was more rigid then usual and it didn't allow for enough lateral movement, but I don't have one myself.

Ol Hoss

Thanks for the info once again. I went to the estore on this site to Catalogs, downloaded the free PDF and there it was. Just the info I needed.

Ol Hoss

judgethe

my 4-8-4 runs very well on hornby r609 (3rd radius or 22.5") but the other 2-10-2 barely make it on the same track and whenever the 2-10-2 passing through a curved section, the wheels getting very tight and some scary "squeaking" sound can be heard too. worried the tight wheels might damage the wheels arm. so decided not to run the 2-10-2 on my layout anymore

WTierce1

The 2-8-0 will pass a 18" radius fine and I am positive that that is the recommended minimmum radius.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Doneldon

judge-

You don't need to worry that you'll damage your loco on tight track. There is enough slope to the wheel flanges that tight gauge track will squeeze the wheels up and off of the track, derailing the train, long before it will harm your Santa Fe.

-- D

judgethe

Quote from: Doneldon on May 29, 2011, 01:46:20 AM
judge-

You don't need to worry that you'll damage your loco on tight track. There is enough slope to the wheel flanges that tight gauge track will squeeze the wheels up and off of the track, derailing the train, long before it will harm your Santa Fe.

-- D

aha... this make sense now :) thank you so much