News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kadee Coupler Springs

Started by ebtbob, May 27, 2007, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Over the years there have several posts about working with Kadee coupler springs from an insertion point of view.   Here is something that drives me crazy.   You open up that little plastic capsule and the springs come out entwined.   I was working with some Kadee narrow gauge couplers this morning and managed to damage at least half the springs trying to seperate them.   Anyone got a good way to do this with doing damage to the springs?

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Atlantic Central

Bob,

I have always had great success by gently proding them with an xacto knife. The secret may be this, don't try to pick them up or try pull them apart, with them laying on a flat surface (work bench) simply touch the group of tangled springs with knife, with the blade parallel to the springs. when they start to seperate, just continue with the kinife like you are slicing a sub roll.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Bob,
Sheldon has the right method. 
Putting them in a box helps prevent escape.  When I put in a spring I first run a piece of thread lengthwise through the spring and then leave only one thickness of thread in the spring when I insert the spring.  If you miss and it bounces, it doesn't bouce far and the string leads you right to it.  Since adopting this method I haven't lost a spring.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Ok,   thanks guys....your info is a help.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

WoundedBear

To untangle the springs try rolling them gently between thumb and finger to sort of "unthread" them. Works for me :-\

paintjockey

I found the xacto knife to work well. I also work with them on a soft surface like paper towell or white cloth. They tend to bounce and roll less.

Bill Baker

I've used Gene's idea about running a thread through the springs that he posted here many, many moons ago.  It works great....thanks Gene.  Before, I would try to position them in the coupler and they would spring into a parallel universe never to be seen again.
Bill

SteamGene

Bill, You're welcome, but I got the idea from somewhere else.  Being a writer, I just used it, just like I use other story ideas.  After all, as I was taught once, there are really only two stories: "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "Cinderella."  All else are variations.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

jsmvmd

Dear Gene,

Louis L'Amour once said there are 25 original plots.  I guess you and he are correct.

Best Wishes,

Jack

glennk28

A model RR friend who works for NASA discovered a band of Kadee coupler springs circling the earth several miles up--explaining what happens to those springs.

Lorne

I think this is a very good topic. I found the information here very helpful. What I need to know though is, how long does it take to develope the patients of a monk required to install these coupler springs. I started out with four springs...I now have one left but none are installed. Aperently, they're in space. :o
Lorne

Woody Elmore

Get yourself a Kadee spring tool. This tool will make working with kadee srpings a little lesss nerve racking. Putting a piece of thread through them, as mentioned above, works well.

Back in the pre CA days there were guys who used to use Walther's Goo or Pliobond on the springs to keep them on the tool.  I never had too much success with Goo but I knew modelers who used this method.

richG

Quote from: Woody Elmore on June 30, 2007, 08:01:54 AM
Get yourself a Kadee spring tool. This tool will make working with kadee srpings a little lesss nerve racking. Putting a piece of thread through them, as mentioned above, works well.

Yes, get the Kadee tool. I use it when assembling the Kadee 711 old time coupler. It is surprising how far those little springs can fly.  :)

Rich

SteamGene

As noted, I've mentioned this before.
Thread a needle (or ask your wife to do this).  When it's time to replace a knuckle spring, draw the needle through the spring lengthwise and then pull on end so you have only one piece of spring through the spring.  Now use an X-Acto blade or Kadee spring tool to place the spring.  Once its in place, pull out the spring. 
Since trying this method, I've lost ZERO springs.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat