News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track gauge adjustment

Started by ArnS, May 27, 2011, 01:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnS

I have several EZ Track DCC turnouts. 3 work fine but one left turnout is just a tad wide just where the point rail starts and a bit beyond. At the beginning I had derailments occasionally at that point but derailments are now the rule almost every time even if I go very slow. It is not the point rail but the mains that are too wide.The engine makes it OK but the following car almost aways derails now. How can I adjust the main rail inward to fix this problem. I would hate to have to replace the turnout as it is glued down. I didn't want to bend anything and maybe do more harm until I knew what I'm doing.
Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
Ans

Len

If the rails are tipped outward, putting them out of gauge, you could use a Micro-Engineering or Kadee track gauge to hold the rails in gauge and upright. Then put a drop of gap-filling CA glue to the bottom of the rail, so it wicks between the rail and roadbed. Once it sets, the rails should stay in gauge.

If the problem is worn rails, e.g., the turnout is directly off a curve and the railhead has been worn away by passing trains, there's not much you can do short of replacing the turnout. This usually happens when running long steam engines, x-8-x, x-10-x, that create a lot of side pressure on the rails in tight curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ArnS

Thanks for the info, I will try that. The track hasn't been used that much, fairly new setup, so that shouldn't be the cause. I'll keep you informed with the results.