"Hook and Loop" style couplers with GE 45 tonner

Started by dieseldan, June 29, 2007, 10:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieseldan

Hello All,
After a couple of years of operating LGB only I'm branching out and giving Bachmann and Aristo Craft a chance. (LGB going out of business is pretty good motivation!)

I just got a GE 45 tonner and I'm VERY impressed!

My question:
Does anyone know if Bachmann makes a coupler that would allow it to attach to my LGB rolling stock without a "transition" car?

Thanks in advance!
Dan Sherman

Dave

Gidday Dan,
           You should have got a pair of Hook an Loop couplers in the box with the New Loco. If not, give Bachmann a Bell, they will gladly send them to you.
                    Cheers
                        Dave Cole in New Zealand

dieseldan

Thanks Dave,
The unit was brand new so all pieces should be there, I'll look through the packaging again and then contact Bachmann if I can't find it.
Thanks again for your help!
--dan

Matthew (OV)

Two things....

1.) The 45 Tonner's couplers are frame mounted, not truck mounted, so you'll need to pay attention to your curves somewhat if you're going to use hook and loops with it .... it won't track quite as tightly as your talgo/truck mounted hook and loops, and if you've got 2' radius curves, might cause a problem. (it could be made to be truck mounted, I suppose... but this would involve major surgery!)

2.) If you can't find yours, let me know, I have about a thousand you can have.

Matthew (OV)

Dave

Gidday there Mathew,
                   I don't suppose you have any Knuckle couplers that you dont want? Can't get them here in NZ unless you have more money than Fort Knox.
                   Cheers
                         Dave Cole

Matthew (OV)

I *had* a boatload.  I believe on the last cleanout, new bench build in the shop they all were deep sixed .... they were the older Big Hauler type, and I got tired of supergluing them.

The Hook and Loops are probably still around just because they were in a different bin... and I have a couple things still in boxes that might be raided too.

So I think you're out of luck on this one.  I'll check though.

Matthew (OV)

charon

Dave,
I have 5 pairs of knuckle couplers, not sure if they are LGB or Bachmann, I converted to Kadee.  Would be happy to send them to you free of charge.  Just email your mailing address to cfernette@tampabay.rr.com.
Chuck Fernette
Mesquite Short Line

Joe Satnik

Dear Chuck,

"LGB's (knuckle) coupler...(has) a fairly large (long with rounded bottom) trip pin that extends below the coupler.  On the top side, the pin, with a hole on top, is more reasonable looking." (The bottom of the mounting tab is nearly flush with the bottom of the 'hand'.) pg. 58.

"Bachmann's .. knuckle couplers..use a single, thin, plastic rod as a self centering spring."  (The mounting tab is fairly well vertically centered with the 'hand'.  It has a short, nearly squared off lower trip pin.) pg. 57.

Quotes from "Coupling Questions, An overview of today's knuckle couplers" by Scott Anderson, Garden Railways, August 2003, pp. 56-61. 

Words and descriptions of article photos (both in parenthesis) added for clarity.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.