Read the instructions sort of......

Started by klunker, May 29, 2011, 09:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klunker

I would like someone at Bachmann to do a comprehensive review of the often incomplete instructions that come with otherwise very good product.

Examples: The DCC controller comes with a DVD that tells you how to program locos but is virtually devoid of info on programming DCC switches. There is very little clarification of the Function button and it's uses compared to the rest of the unit.

DCC switches tell you how to program them into the unit but you get no info on how to go from there. The DCC switch instructions make no mention of the wire underneath that you can plug in and power the frog.

Nowhere will you find the simple piece of information that to bring a number 5 turnout back into parallel all you need is a 33 1/4" 12 degree curve.

I realize that these things may be obvious to many but when you are starting out it's very frustrating and it could be completely avoided by a co ordinated review of the various instructions for the various products so that some continuity of information is established.

One good technician with good communication skills could re do these in a couple of days.

Jerrys HO

klunker,
I just started also in DCC and found that all the instructions were either on my box it came in or on a separate piece of paper. The frog actually came both ways, and it shows that you do not need to hook up unless you are experiencing power loss on longer wheel base loco's. Even when I bought from a couple of reputable e-bay outlets that sold bulk pieces they included instructions that looked like they made themselves. I have 1 crossover DCC and the other is not and I prefer the DCC version. As for my switches/turnouts I prefer switch controllers. Check your packaging or if needed I will post what I have on my boxes/instructions.
Jerry

jward

just a simple note on powering frogs. unpowered frogs may cause small short wheelbase locomotives such as thomas and percy to stall. longer wheelbase locomotives especially diesela shouldn't stall on an unpowered frog as there should be other wheels picking up power from the reails on either side of the frog. if you are experiencing staiiling on frogs with a diesel, it's time to take a look at the power pickups on the locomotive itself.

as for the instruction sheets, i also wish they'd do a better job of explaining things. an instruction sheet or dvd shouldn't leave you with more questions than when you started.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA