News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

porter information

Started by ASIANLIFE, June 29, 2007, 10:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASIANLIFE

Does anyone know where I might find information on Porter locomotives. I am interested in the 0-8-0 saddle tanks built around beginning of 1900's for Alishan Mountain Rly in Taiwan. Can't find anything on internet.

J R Barnes

I show one in my Porter catalog.  It is a 0-8-0t saddle-tank engine that was exported to the West Indies.  If you wil send an email to baron67@verizon.net, I will scan a copy of the page for you.

Jerry Barnes
Plano, TX
Jerry Barnes
Conductor-Fireman (Retired)
Grapevine Vintage Railroad

ASIANLIFE

Thanks Jerry.

I was beginning to wonder if the question would get any answers. Will email direct from home later as am at work now.

Paul [Asianlife]

richG

Quote from: J R Barnes on July 02, 2007, 09:24:25 PM
I show one in my Porter catalog.  It is a 0-8-0t saddle-tank engine that was exported to the West Indies.  If you wil send an email to baron67@verizon.net, I will scan a copy of the page for you.

Jerry Barnes
Plano, TX

I found that quite interesting. Some years ago I saw a 0-8-0 fireless at the RR Museum Of Pensavalnia and the sign said, The largest "fireless" (and only 0-8-0 streamlined
        "fireless") ever built.
I suppose "they" meant the USA.
In case some of you have never seen a firelss cooker, here is a link to one. They resemble a tank locomotive. Kind of like a tank locomotive on steroids.

http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/PPL4094STRASBURGPA-AUG24-96-277281-5.jpg

Rich

richG

This subject got me interested in fireless locos. I did some searching using google and came up with some Porter information. Never did find any photos but I do not model this era.

http://catskillarchive.com/rrextra/porter.Html

#2272 2-1901 The first 0-8-0, a 42-in.-gauge tank engine, Hokkaido Coal & Ry. Co. "A," shipped to Japan by S. H. Payne & Son, exporters

Cheers

Rich

ASIANLIFE

Many thanks. Useful links and info. Alishan Rly of course is much more famous for its Shays most of which are still in existance, but ran Porters and Vulcan Ironworks as well.

J R Barnes

There are several pics of fireless locomotives in my Porter catalog.  If you will send an email to me at baron67@verizon.net, I will scan some in.

Jerry Barnes
Plano, TX
Jerry Barnes
Conductor-Fireman (Retired)
Grapevine Vintage Railroad

SteamGene

The current C&O historical society calendar has a picture of a C&O fireless for this month.  It was used in a chemical plant until something like 1963.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"