News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Turntable

Started by jeroldc, May 30, 2011, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeroldc

Purchased a Bachmann 16 position HO turntable.  Usually Bachmann stuff is well documented but there is virtually no documentation about DCC operation other than just how to install the decoder and use their system. Profoundly disappointed in Bachmann on this issue.  I have some questions.

1.  Can I use a DCC standard 8-pin decoder for operation.

2.  I need some guidance on what mode, etc to use it.  I select the address then what.

3.  I am assuming it is compatible with already my in place digitrax system.

Would appreciate any help from anyone.  You may contact me at jeroldc.33625@gmail.com or on the forum
Modeling the Rock Island during the transition period - DCC HO setup below and an analog O 3-rail around the top of the room.

judgethe

you can use any 8pins dcc loco decoder for the turntable. i tested 2 different decoders; mrc 4 functions decoder and bachmann 44915 and both works fine. remember to remove the dummy plug :)

after you plug in the new dcc decoder into the turntable, by default it should be on address number 3. here, you can use your controller to control the turntable's speed and direction, very similar to controlling a locomotive. if you would like to change the address for the turntable do removes all your locomotives from your layout.

not forgetting, make sure the 4th track on the turntable must be connected to your main layout too. if you look underneath the turntable you'll see which one is the 4th track.

not sure about digitrax, but hornby digital select controller doesn't work with this turntable.

if you need more information please do let me know. mine is working perfectly on my dcc layout at the moment.

Jerrys HO

judge,
Where are those pics you were going to post. I just ordered my turntable. I was just going to refer this post to yours but you beat me to it. Would love to see those pics.
Jerry

judgethe

Quote from: Jerrys HO on May 30, 2011, 09:04:23 PM
judge,
Where are those pics you were going to post. I just ordered my turntable. I was just going to refer this post to yours but you beat me to it. Would love to see those pics.
Jerry

currently i have a short video review on the turntable on youtube. just search bachmann turntable and you come across it under fadhilwong's account.

it was my first video so don't laugh :)

no worries, it's very easy to install the decoder by yourself. just remove the housing cover and you'll see the dummy plug. if you need pics do let me know what/which part that you want to have a look at it

Jerrys HO

Judge,
Love the turntable. You are wondering what to do about the appearance, I would trace out the turn table then use a router to counter sink it in. That way your track will line up and would be easy to fill in your scenery. If not possible just put some cork bed underneath. Great piece though.
Thanks Jerry

judgethe

yup i would love to do that but unfortunately i'm in a rented property so i can't have a permanent setup so no landscape, no hills and no scenery. i got another video showing my entire layout do check it out :)

Doneldon

jerold-

I think a Bachmann decoder from one of their locos is an ideal solution for you. Bachmann's non-sound decoders are real basic - fair, at best, low speed operation and limited features - so you can improve your loco's operation with a new decoder and use the one you remove for the turntable.
                                                                               -- D