News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

To Bach-Mann coupler conversions

Started by blimpbase, May 31, 2011, 03:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blimpbase

To Bach-Mann:
How do you convert a brand new Spectrum F7 A & B from knuckle couplers to the included NMRA style.  I don't want to damage anything.  Diagram please?

Thanks

ACY

Here is an exploded parts diagram, it doesn't help much, but it is not like it is terribly difficult to switch them out. You just have to be careful not to lose the springs, otherwise just remove the one one replace with the other.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/81259.pdf

Albert in N

Be careful when prying the F-7 truck side frame unit from the wheel/gear retainer assembly.  The truck side frame unit end, near the coupler, has a thin edge that slips over the wheel unit lug.  This thin edge breaks off, sometimes even during gentle prying.  Mine broke and I used a MicroTrains screw to attach it.  This was on the B unit since I lucked out when converting the A unit couplers.  Bachmann parts does sell the whole assembly (truck frame unit, gear and wheel unit) if you snap off the part during disassembly. 

blimpbase

I have two sets of F-7's, one set has Micro-Train couplers installed. and the coupler box has a small plastic plate with two clips that catch on the coupler box.  The other set has dummy knuckle couplers, and a plasic bag with 4 NMRA style couplers/springs.  The coupler box appears to be different, the top plate attaches differently to hold everything together.  I can't readily figure out how to dissassemble the second set.  I wanted to run the engines F7-A-B-B-A.  Thanks for the help, if you have additional answers send them.

Thanks 

Franz T

The Micro-Trains couplers will work with the dummy knuckle couplers. Since there is no such thing as a NMRA coupler in N-scale, I am guessing that what you have in the spare parts bag are the old RAPIDO couplers. These will not work with either Micro-Trains or Dummy Knuckles or for that matter , AccuMates or the new McHenry couplers.  After almost 50 years, the Crapidos are mercifully going the way of the DoDo....

blimpbase

Thanks, most of the stuff I have was purchased in the 60's, I just recently got interested in returning to Model Railroading.  The passenger cars I have are Atlas silver AT&SF with Rapido couplers.  I also have a brand new pre-Spectrum B unit (Bachmann +)( reviews say they are not reliable) with Rapido couplers.  I still would like to know how to change the couplers on what I have.  How do I get the factory rep to address my question?

the Bach-man

Dear Blimp,
As far as I know, there is no diagram, but most conversions require the removal of one screw and the replacement of the coupler. Some may be different; I don't have an N Scale F-7 to check. Chances are one of our members has done this and will post.
There have been many variations over the years, and there's no "one size fits all" answer.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Albert in N

I am looking at my Bachmann Spectrum F-7 AB set.  Mine originally came with Rapido (I agree with "crapido") couplers.  I converted to Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers since they are an easy swap and interface with MicroTrains or other popular N scale knuckle couplers.  You just can't use magnetic uncoupler tracks to uncouple, but no big deal if you simply run trains like I do most of the time.  To change your Spectrum F-7 couplers, get a small flat screw driver.  Position it between the bottom of the coupler box and the small cross bar of the plastic truck side frame assembly.  Carefully pry outward and down to pivot down the truck side frame assembly.  (That small plastic cross bar piece breaks easily!)  Once removed, use your fingers to lift out the Rapido coupler leaving the spring in place.  Then replace with your Bachmann coupler.  I have not seen the new Bachmann working knuckle couplers, but assume that they drop in like their dummy knuckle couplers.  Once couplers are swapped, be sure that the knuckle is facing properly by comparing to a freight car coupler.  Then if OK, snap the truck side frame assembly back in place.  Note that this side frame assembly has an open slot that fits over the inside of the gear/ wheel assembly unit, and the coupler end slot (with the fragile cross bar) snaps in below the coupler box portion.  There is NO screw.