News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0 dissassembly help

Started by Railhound333, May 27, 2011, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railhound333

Hi guy's, I need some help/info/directions for taking apart my decapod.  I need to clean/lube the motor, bearings and gears.
Need to take driver chassis assembly off and remove the boiler/cab assembly. What is the easiest way to do this?

Have looked at other posts that say I have to remove the walkways from the boiler to remove the boiler assembly, but looks like they are glued on, and I'm afraid that I might damage them.

Any tricks or easier way to remove the boiler assembly?

What about the driver/chassis assembly? Will it come off complete with the cylinders and valve gear?

What screws do I remove to do all of this?

Exploded drawing really is not too clear as to which screws go thru which parts into the other parts to hold the assemblys together.

Any help will be appreciated on this as I have never taken apart any steam locos before.
"More Heat!......We need More Heat!!!!!

rogertra

Bachmann "Russian" 2-10-0 Disassembly

1. Unscrew pony truck assembly being careful not to lose the spring.  However, I find that all steam locos track quite well without the truck spring and, in fact, removing the truck spring increases haulage by a freight car or two.  The truck springs are removed from all my steam as a matter of course.

2. Gently pull the grate shakers free from the frame under both sides of the cab.

3. Remove the drawbar and the screw up through the cylinder saddle freeing the boiler assembly.

4. Use a very thin screwdriver or knife blade to gently pry the cab free while jiggling it back and forth. Look for the little tabs at the front corners of the cab that will release with a little pressure.

5. Now remove any of the piping detail from the boiler that looks as though it will interfere with the boiler removal. Can't be more helpful as this varies by model.

6. It should now be possible to very gently lift the boiler from the chassis. Look carefully for any boiler details that may get hung up. The boiler subassembly includes the motor, drive gear, upper plastic shell, metal boiler bottom and running boards.

7. To free the shell from the weighted base, carefully lift off the running boards and separate the shell from the motor housing and weight. The front firebox wall, under the boiler, needs to be pulled forward and removed to fully release the motor housing.

That should be it.

Just take your time.

rogertra

Bachmann 2-10-0 disassembly

It disassembles much like the 2-8-0.

Necessity is the mother of invention as there are at least two versions of the 2-10-0.

What you think is two bottom plastic pieces are really the two halves of the boiler weight painted black.

To get it out I had to remove the two side board assemblies:

Fireman's side needs a pipe removed from front of air pump.

Engineers side needs a small ladder removed.

Then the weight assembly will slide out of the shell except that the front of the firebox appears to be glued to the sides.

Pry apart with choice of implement AND one pipe from the back of the air pump is routed up under the handrail
to the steam dome. I removed the end from the dome and fiddled it under the handrail as I pulled the interior piece back to the rear and down.

Once you get the motor/weight assembly out you will discover why some models have a lot of starting noise. The motor is loosely held in place and can rotate/vibrate in its holders.  A bit of glue or RT. will fix that.

Reassembly is of course a simple matter of doing the above in reverse.

Shouldn't take more than a few days.

rogertra

Railhound333

No need to thank me.  Oh, you didn't.   

Without a "thank you" don't expect much help in the future.  Guess common manners has gone out the window?

Railhound333

Sorry Roger, intended to respond earlier but but serious family problems kept me from doing so, so I thank you now.

This is the first I've been able to get time to do anything on my hobby items since.

Thanks Much!!!!

rogertra

Apology accepted.

Hope the family problem has been satisfactorily solved and all is well.

Best of luck with the instructions, it's not an easy loco to disassemble.

Railhound333

Quote from: rogertra on May 30, 2011, 10:42:24 PM
Apology accepted.

Hope the family problem has been satisfactorily solved and all is well.

Best of luck with the instructions, it's not an easy loco to disassemble.
Apology accepted.

Everything is alright so far now, thanks.

Started to attempt to take it apart, but is on hold now until I work up a little more courage.

Thanks

rogertra

Quote from: Railhound333 on June 01, 2011, 02:16:52 PM

Everything is alright so far now, thanks.

Started to attempt to take it apart, but is on hold now until I work up a little more courage.

Thanks

Glad to hear that.

As for the loco?  Yes, take your time, it is not the easiest locomotive to disassemble.

Doneldon

Apology accepted.

Correction: Apology not necessary. We need to have slightly thicker skin, I think.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on June 01, 2011, 06:19:45 PM
Apology accepted.

Correction: Apology not necessary. We need to have slightly thicker skin, I think.

-- D

You don't believe in thanking anyone for their help?

He apologised for not thanking me earlier and gave the reason why, which was good of him.  Nothing to do with the thickness of the skin, he showed good manners.

Doneldon

Rog-

Read more carefully. I said the apology was unnecessary, not the thanks. And I still feel that way.

Face it. Some people get on here daily or more often. They'll likely offer thanks quickly. Others might need a few days before they get back on board to read the pearls left for them. They don't deserve to be shamed because they didn't profer thanks to their helper when the helper felt s/he was entitled to same. Thus, lighten up and recognize that the Board is about the interchange and help we offer, not getting thanked for taking a few moments to offer some information or advice.
                                                                                                                                           -- D

Tedshere

I'm not usually one to butt into others people's go-rounds, but gotta say I agree with Donaldon here. I always appreciate the info I get from this board but it may take me a few days to get back to it and recognize the helpers.
    Thanks again to all who help. It's probably more appreciated than it may appear.
    Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan