News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Log Skidder coupler problem

Started by marymartin4959, June 01, 2011, 08:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marymartin4959

We just got one of the Bachmann Big Haulers Log Skidders on the 20' flat car.  The problem is, we use hook & loop couplers and the skidder came with knuckle couplers.  There is a set of hook & loop couplers in the box, but the trucks do not have an extension on them so there is no way to connect the hook & loop couplers to the truck.  (The knuckle couplers are connected with some sort of box that is screwed onto the underside of the flat car.)

The picture on the paper with the hook & loop couplers clearly shows the truck extension.

Is there an adapter kit that we're supposed to have?  Or, do we need to buy all new trucks so that we can use the hook & loop couplers?

HELP!!!

Thanks!

Ed

the Bach-man

Dear Mary,
I haven't tried to install loops- I'll see what I can find out.
hanks!
the Bach-man

mickb

Hi there should be a screw under the knuckle coupler which attaches the knuckle to the mounting arm. Undo it and remove the knuckle part of the coupler and the hook loop should screw on in place of the knuckle.
Mick

marymartin4959

In order to remove the knuckle coupler, you have to remove the entire box that it is mounted in.  There is no extension on the trucks (no tongue, if you will) to attach the hook and loop coupler to. 

We've switched out all our other Bachmann cars from knuckle couplers to hook and loop and never had any problem because there was always a "tongue" on the trucks and the hook and loop coupler just fit on that. 

This part does not exist on the skidder flat car's trucks.

mickb

Hi
assuming your flat car is the same as the previous 20' flat car the couplers can only be attached to the body not the to the trucks. Do not remove the coupler box. Under the knuckle coupler should be a silver colored screw, removing this screw allows the knuckle part of the coupler to be removed . The hook and loop coupler can now be attached using the black screw packed in with the couplers.

I tried to load a couple of photos to explain it more easily but just keep getting an error that the upload folder is full even though the photos are only 23K and 28K!
Mick

marymartin4959

Yes, there is a silver screw there but removing it leaves a large brown plastic piece that the hook & loop coupler will not attach to. 

The box is chassis mounted so removing it still leaves no place to attach the hook & loop coupler. 

We have several other Bachmann flat cars and they had regular trucks with extensions (tongues) so we were quickly able to switch out the knuckle couplers for the hook & loop couplers.  The bottom of this flat car, where the coupler is supposed to be attached, isn't like any of the other flat cars we have.

The instruction sheet included with the hook & loop couplers shows a standard truck with an extension and shows how to change the couplers.  However, the trucks on this flat car are not like the ones shown on the instruction sheet and there are no other instructions anywhere. 

Someone at Bachmann messed up when they made these instructions!

NarrowMinded

Hi Ed,

I think the log skidder car is gear toward the rivet counter type or the person who wants more realistic rolling stock.

the hook and loop as far as I can tell is not designed to adapt to the car and I see no adapters anywhere... I could be wrong,

I did take my body mount coupler off one of mine to see how a hook and loop could be attached, it will work but its not exactly perfect as far as design goes, depending on what cars you run/connect to, you may need to add a spacer to line up the hook and loop on one or the other.

Once mounted there is no hole for the alignment rod/spring to fit into to keep the hook straight but once coupled it should stay coupled just fine.

Below are a couple pictures, if you have problems with the hook free swinging let us know, I'm sure I could come up with a simple assy made from a common household item.
NM
(@Bachmann you could save a bit of money by not including these non capatable parts with the body mount rolling stock, and send me a K27 and long caboose as a thank you for pointing out the money saved)

Remove the black screw and entire box/coupler

Install the hook and loop align and snug up the screw, if your handy you could add another screw, or put a little glue on it but I really don't think it needs it.

charon

Mickb,
I, too, tried to upload a small photo and got the same message "the upload folder is full".  Does anyone know what this is or what it means?
Thanks,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

mickb

At least NarrowMinded can upload pictures!

OK in the first picture you can see the silver screw I referred to, remove it and take the knuckle part of the coupler off. The coupler box is still attached to the flat car and stays there, the hook and loop coupler can now be attached in place of the removed knuckle (use the longer black screw in with the couplers.

Mick

NarrowMinded

Hi Mick, I tried to do what you suggest and it does not mate at all when using the normal mounting hole on the loop, if you remove the pin with the halfmoon shaped head that the hook pivots on it sort of fits but is still not a drop in, and ends too low.

(I used the silver screw here because the longer one that comes with the hook/loop coupler is a larger diameter and I didn't want to damage my coupler for the example.)

This is the otherway but comes out lower

BTW to get picture on here you must load them to another site such as photobucket then post the image link in the comment window, the upload server is chronically broken

NM

mickb

Hi NM

You are absolutely correct, I had not checked the height when I mounted one yesterday. It seemed the obvious way to do it.
We will have to wait for "the Bach-mann" to enlighten us.

Mick

mickb

Ok second thought (and No I have not set this up yet, but a quick dry run suggests it could come fairly close).
Remove the complete knuckle coupler. Then put a longer  mounting screw through the hook and loop coupler and then through the coupler box and screw both of them back on the car, the coupler box is just being used as a spacer to give the right height . It looks as this will give the right height it may need a small strip of plastic glued to the underside of the coupler box to keep the hook and loop straight.
Mick

mickb

Hook and loop coupler mounted on flat car using coupler box as a spacer, a longer screw is required about 3/16" longer than the original.
"http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee471/mickbenton/coupler4.jpg"

Height is almost perfect
"http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee471/mickbenton/coupler3.jpg"
it looks as though it will go round R1 curves OK when coupled to Big Hauler wagons but I am not sure 2 of these set up this way will work together.
Mick

marymartin4959

Thanks for all your suggestions...although none of them worked for me. 

A friend of mine had some extra trucks that had tongue extensions so I just replaced the ones that came with the log car with my friend's trucks and we're ready to roll.

Yes, Bachmann could save lots of money by not including the hook & loop couplers with this particular car since they won't work anyway. 

Whoever designed this car's coupler box didn't think very far ahead when he/she just said to toss in the standard hook & loop coupler package.  Not only don't the hook & loop couplers work, but the instruction sheet with them is Bachmann's standard instruction sheet showing the tongue extension which these trucks don't even have.

Anyway, my problem is solved....not by any simple household fix, but by replacing the entire truck assembly. 

At least I can now run my car on my garden railroad.

Hook & loop couplers are not prototypical, I know that...I just got sick of watching my train consist come apart part way around my railroad and having to manually reconnect the couplers or having my cars not coupling properly with other cars from the various manufacturers that I have.   My hook & loop couplers NEVER let go and I can be assured of watching my entire train go around my garden railroad time and time again.

NarrowMinded

I understand using hook and loop completely all my kids rolling stock has them so they can run the wheels off them without uncoupling

NM