News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

morning visitor

Started by r0bert, June 02, 2011, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

It seems to me that neither ctc nor cab signals necessarily present a problem. The UP could easily install the electronic equipment in two more cabs if it would allow them to leave the diesel and crew at home. So I think the diesel has to be there due to a combination of braking and breakdown insurance.
                                                                                      -- D

r0bert

UP does have both MU control stands and CTC onboard their steam locos, and generally stay on their home rails, so usally do not have a diesel in the consist unless it's pulling an extremely heavy train like the circus train last fall.
With the circus train the diesel was for dynamic braking only.
In my original post refering to CTC I said "in OTHER steam consists" generally when the steamer is not on it's road a diesel with the proper CTC is pulled.
Info update;
I have received intell that the Mopac ACe is in fact being deadheaded in the excursion train. It normally operates out of the Dupo yard, and may have been dropped off there, or my be left in L.R. for servicing.

more useless info
Another reason with non UP steam locos you may see a diesel "Amtrak  loco" is for
head end electrical power for the passenger cars.
UP has dedicated power cars with diesel generators in their Excursion trains, but most other pull a mixed bag of borrowed cars and need the Amtrak diesel to run lights, AC and such.

hMark Andeb

eh, getting up early, the hardest thing in the world.

r0bert

Especially after working the night shift for 30+ years.

RAM

Due to the flooding coming on the Missouri River the 844 thought Oklahoma today instead of Saturday.  So I missed it.

RAM

The Union Pacific has faith it it's steam locomotive.  It is a rare occasion for them to have diesel with them.  When steam runs on the BNSF it is rare to not have a diesel in the train.

hMark Andeb

what year is this train in?