problem with small wheels carriage on the steam loco staying on the track

Started by wayneeumc, June 30, 2007, 09:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayneeumc

I bought the set containing the 4-8-4 steam locomotive. Almost from the start I have had problems with the lead carriage of 2 small wheels staying on the track. I got another set from Bachman and installed them but the problem still exists. What do you suggest?

SteamGene

First of all, it's called the pony truck.   ;D  There are several possibilities.  If the pony truck has a spring, remove the spring and try running it that way.  Next, or maybe first, make sure the wheels are in gauge.  Next, or again, maybe first, is their a pattern to its derailing?  If so, the problem is track, not wheels.  Next, check how tight the pony truck is screwed to the bottom of the locomotive.  If it's too tight, it won't track.  Tighten it down all the way and then back off about one turn. 
Gpod luck.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bojangle

Wayne:
Check the HO section for a thread I started called "2-8-0 Pilot Derailing".  It appears you have a track problem, and there is a lot of relative information in the other thread.  Feel free to jump in  and give more information on your problem.
Bo