News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HOn30

Started by BandO GLENNWOOD, June 03, 2011, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandO GLENNWOOD

With the following that the On30 line has had and all of the new products that have come out I wonder if it is time To try an HOn30 line of products The Nscale drines have come a long way and are far better today I think AHM and the Mini Trains line had a great idea it was just to soon for the market I am an HO modeler and would love to have a working mine motor and mining cars as well as a mineral tram for a Brick Plant I know that Europe has a large following in 009 gauge the same as HOn30 here and some very nice work has been done in that scale Just wondering if an HOn30 line has been given any thought Thanks Paul

CNE Runner

I agree Paul. That MinitrainS little Plymouth set has interested me for quite some time and I would love to design/build a mini-layout around it. The problem is that I already have too many HO cars to add yet another scale.

As it stands, I think the HOn30 (or HOe in Europe) is just too small a niche in an already crowded market. With the downturn in the worldwide economy, major manufacturers are looking for the 'biggest bang for [their] buck'. On30 seems to have filled a need for those modelers wanting larger scale trains - but not the larger layout size that usually accompanies them. There seems to be less need with the HO crowd...actually those desiring more layout for the space have migrated to N-scale (of course those individuals can actually see the N-scale rolling stock).

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

WTierce1

I have a minitrains set along with some roco, and liliput. I like them all. The minitrains run well and have a BRIGHT headlight. I suggest them.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

CNE Runner

Wtierce - Since you already have a MinitrainS set, I would like to 'pick your brain' regarding the rather strange couplers the set has. How reliable are these couplers and how does one uncouple cars? Regular HO magnetic couplers are easy to uncouple with a shish ke-bab stick...can the same be said of these? As I said earlier, I have been seriously looking at these trains for inclusion in a future demonstration mini-layout.

Cheers,
Ray

WTierce1

The couplers work well. To uncouple them, you can take a paper clip and unbend it into a "L" shape and put it under the couplers and pul up and apart. Here is a link to my vid of the Diesel minitrains set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-uFagEL8Y&feature=channel_video_title
And here is a link to my vid of the steam set at a trainshow I went to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMeMwfuK24&feature=relmfu
You can take a look at my other vids of Bachmann Engines.

CNE Runner

Thanks for getting back to me on those couplers. I could see some of your bent paperclips on the table during your video. I thought you did a good job of reviewing the product...with some weathering this could be a nice set. From your accent, I can tell you are another 'Son of the South'.

Keep 'em running,
Ray (Alabama)

WTierce1