News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam in the Diesel Era

Started by ebtnut, June 03, 2011, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

The query about modeling Wisconsin railroads in the transition era got me thinking about post-1960 steam operations in the U.S.  There was in fact a fair amount of steam still around through the 1960's, well into the second generation diesel era.  I'm going to rattle off a few operations off the top of my head.  This is by no means even close to being a complete list, but just a sampling of what was out there should you wish to mix steam and diesel on you layout. 

Buffalo Creek and Gauley RR – 3 2-8-0's, steam ended in 1965.
Crab Orchard and Egyptian RR – Illinois short line – 2-4-2 and 2-8-0.  Steam ended in 1986.
Denver and Rio Grande Western RR – Operated its narrow gauge lines with a large group of 2-8-2's until the end of 1967.
Rockton and Rion RR – Quarry line in South Carolina – Operated a pair of 2-8-2's into the late 1960's.
Reader RR – Arkansas short line – Operated in freight service into the mid-1970's; tourist service continued into the early 1990's.  Freight service with 2-8-0 and 2-6-2. 
Virginia Blue Ridge RR – Short line in mid-Virginia – Operated into the early 1960's with a 2-8-0 and a U.S. Army 0-6-0. 
Northwestern Steel and Wire – Steel mill operation in northern Illinois – Operated a group of 0-8-0's until about 1980. 
Mobile and Gulf RR – Mississippi short line – Operated a 2-6-0 until summer, 1970.
Mississippian RR – Mississippi short line – Operated a pair of 2-8-0's until about 1966. 

jward

add to the above the graham county rr in notrth carolina, reportedly used shays until about 1973.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Where labour was cheap and oil expensive, steam was still the best choice.  International late users of steam include China and South Africa.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

perhaps this is the point where somebody should bring up the experimantal locomotives which were either proposed or tested. the one most relevant to the steam discussion is the ACE3000. this was a proposed coal fired steam locomotive frrom around 1980, which would have had locomotive and tender each enclosed in f40ph type bodies.

http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/ult.html for more info.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA