News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about HO scale 2-10-2 Locomotives

Started by YARDGOAT39, June 02, 2011, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YARDGOAT39

Will an HO scale 2-10-2 run on 18" radius curves and #4 turnouts?

ACY

Unfortunately, the minimum radius as stated by Bachmann for the 2-10-2 locomotive is 22", I have not seen any that will run well on anything less. Also even though somebody's may run on 18" radius, the chances that yours will is not too great, they just got really lucky.

bobwrgt

I have two that will run OK on 18 in radius but i got lucky or have very good track.
As ACY has mentioned yours might not run as well. It is hit or miss. If you can test it before you make the purchase that would be the best.

Bob

YARDGOAT39

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Yardgoat39

Doneldon

YG-

Model locomotives, especially steam engines, seem to have minds of their own when it comes to minimum radius questions. Occasionally you'll find one which won't work on the manufacturer's recommended radius, but they often seem to work on tighter than stated curves. I suppose that's because the makers don't want to claim a radius and then have a bunch of units which can't handle it, so they are a bit conservative with their minimum radius claims.

The thing is, it commonly works out that some will clear a tighter than advertised curvature but others won't. So all you can do is check out the individual loco you plan to buy. This is one of the good reasons for doing business with your LHS. They are likely to have a test track. Obviously, it's not practical to do test runs with online sellers, nor is it reasonable to expect to buy a loco and then return it because it meets the manufacturer's claims but not the customer's hopes.

All of that brings me to my point: Use broader curves if there is any possible way to do so. This will not just help your locomotives run on your pike; you'll find fewer derailments and have trains which look a lot better.
                                                                                                                                    -- D

Len

I had a couple of 2-8-2's that would derail moving from the straight into an 18in radius loop. After reading an article in one of the railroad magazines, I add a 22in radius 'easement' section at each end of the loop. After that they'd go through with no problems. Apparently eliminating the abrupt transition from straight to the 18in radius gave the axles a chance to shift in their slots first.eliminated the problem. It may also work for a 2-10-2, but then again it might not.

If you try it, to get the geometry right you'll need some 1/2 18in radius curve sections, since 18in curves are 30deg, and 22in are 22.5deg.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.