News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new Baby Shay / bad photo in TW ad

Started by Frolin, July 09, 2007, 03:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frolin

Did anyone else get excited when they found the TrainWorld ad in the August 2007 issue of Garden Railways?  The ad says "New! #82194 Spectrum 35 ton 2-truck Shay" but shows the photo of the smaller On30 Shay (yes the tiny print says "Actual Product not shown").

I got a call from a friend asking if I was ordering one.  I pulled the ad and got excited!  Maybe Bachmann was going to release a new, smaller Shay not a bigger one.  Sure would be great to have a 12-18 ton Baby Shay!!!

Well, checking the Part # on the Bachmann site, did not work (that day).  And closer review, the number and wording, points to maybe a new road name on the existing model series.

To bad TW did not use a photo for that model of Shay, instead of teasing us with the smaller size Shay photo, using the On30 Shay picture.

So guess we won't be seeing a small Baby Shay coming out soon, that would be a Fn3 version of the On30 little Shay...  or maybe this is a hint or opening lead for Bachmann to now consider one?

Frolin
Marek Mountain RR

Karl Reichenbach

That same photo has been in TW add since the 36 ton Shay was introduced almost 2 years ago.

Karl

JerryB

Frolin:

Trainworld has been running that exact same ad with the ". . . 35 TON . . ." (should read ". . . 38 TON . . .") typo and the non-existant part number since the 38 ton two truck Shay was first announced well more than a year ago. When that ad was originally cut, there wasn't a "38 ton Shay" to take a picture of, so an incorrect picture was used. TW ignored the fact that it would be hard to tell the difference between the 'original' 36 ton two truck Shay and the 'new' 38 ton two truck Shay in the small low resolution pictures that accompany their ads, and used a picture of the On30 T-Boiler Shay instead. I can imagine some (non-modeler) advertising person's viewpoint that ". . . a Shay is a Shay . . ." They are Trainworld's errors, having absolutely nothing to do with the possiblity of a small Shay based on Bachmann's On30 machine. TW, being the thrifty discounter they are, are very unlikely to fix the ad.

We can still hope for a 1:20.3 T-Boiler, Two Truck Shay. Best is to post your interest here or write directly to Lee Riley at Bachmann. Quite a few of us have done that, but no annoucement yet.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

JerryB

Quote from: Karl Reichenbach on July 09, 2007, 04:03:18 PM
That same photo has been in TW add since the 36 ton Shay was introduced almost 2 years ago.

Karl
Karl:

You are correct that the picture and ad have been running for a long time, but the 36 ton Shay was released almost 10 years ago. That incorrect ad was first cut for the 38 ton (steel cab) Shay.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Frolin

Guys,  you are correct, its the same ad with the On30 photo, that has been running for some time.  Actually it was my friend that call me on the ad, more so as a joke I later found, and I responded to it before thinking I had seen it before.  Since not looking to buy any larger Shays right now, had not been studing the TW ads that closely in recent months.

But its does wonder why, TrainWorld used the On30 photo instead of another Fn3 Shay picture, for the 'stand in' photo, even if "not the actual model shown"...

The bigger Shays are really nice.  But would be nice to see a "Baby Shay" like the T-Boiler available for On30.  Hey, they have been taking On30 models and making them in Fn3, maybe the Shay is next?

Frolin

Danny Sheehan in Oz

IF Bachmann were to produce a small T Boiler Shay, I would think it would be a great seller, tremendous potential, for a feeder line bringing timber into a mainline interchange etc.  You never know, down the track we could see such a machine, as they do have the plans, just needs upsizing to F. :o