News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RECOMMENDED HO STARTER PLATFORM SIZE?

Started by tom644, June 08, 2011, 11:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom644

As a teenager I did lot of HO modelling on an 8X12 platform, but that was 45 years ago.  I've been out of model trains ever since.  Now I want to set up an HO platform for my grandson in a large basement.  Space is not a problem.  I purchased a Bachmann DCC starter set and a track starter set.

I am looking for advice on platform size.  4X8 is too limiting, so I am thinking 6X10 which will use 2 plywood sheets without much waste.  I realize the 3 foot each will be a challenge, but I can live with that.

If anybody can recommend a better size for a starter platform, I would appreciate the feedback.  I haven't decided on a track layout yet.  I'll probably do a component-based design.

jonathan

Tom,

Welcome back!  I took a 40-year hiatus from trains.  Life got in the way.

A 6X10 layout is very convenient, if you use the middle of the layout for scenery; say a large hill or mountain as a scenery divider.  What you want to avoid is having to reach too far for trackwork.  A double track oval design would have a large enough radius to run any kind of trains on the market.

If you plan siding or yards, keep all the track within a 20"-24" reach from the edge of the layout.  A figure 8, or any design that crosses the middle of the benchwork, would create real problems.  A good plan would be a pop up hole in the middle of the benchwork, so you can reach the scenery while you're working on it.

The inside scenery will be tough to reach, but once it's done, no more reaching.  Keeping the trains and track within reach is the key.

Also, keep the wiring underneath close to the edge.  I learned that the hard way.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

have you considered an 8x12 L shaped configuration. you could do this with 2 sheets of plywood, and it would give you plenty of room to work with. you could even add a length of 1x12 plank to the 4' sides of the plywood and gain another foot of width which would allow the use of 24" or 26" radius curves.

a layout of this size gives you enough room to have hills for your trains to climb, and bridges for them to cross. not to say this couldn't be done in much less space, but having this much room would allow you to keep the steepness of your upgrade sections to a reasonable level.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Tom-

You can usually make better use of the available space by building a model railroad along the walls. You do have to keep to about 30" wide, but the arrangement will allow for some nice long runs in the same square footage as a table layout. Or do both, a U-shaped layout with a relatively narrow (<30") leg along a wall and a bent peninsula extending into the room. That allows you to "walk into" the layout and be nearly surrounded by trains. Or put two parts against the walls at a corner with a peninsula of any size or shape you want.

However, table layouts are where most people start. If you do go that way, stick to no more then six feet wide. And don't fail to capitalize on the opportunities for an empties in/loads out set up along the midline between the two sides of the layout. Incidentally, mountains aren't the only way to divide a table layout you can use backdrops (purchased or roll your own), a city with tallish buildings, or industries which are large enough to block the view across the middle.

Good luck with your layout and have fun with your grandson. I knew model railroading is fun but I didn't really appreciate just how much fun until I started running trains with my grandsons.
                                                    -- D