News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consist question dcc

Started by Freight Train, June 09, 2011, 07:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freight Train

Does both engines have to be the same such as 2 sd40's. 2 gp40's in order for them to pull the same, without one working more than the other?

jward

no but they do have to be closely matched speedwise. luckily, with most dcc systems this is easy to do through programming.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Freight Train

HI Jeff

Thanks for answering.... I have the bachmann EZ Comand controller and cannot adjust engine speed, all I can do is program the second engine to the first engine's address, So would this make the speed the same for the 2 engines??

ACY

No, you need to borrow an DCC system with the capabilities of changing CVs besides, direction and address. 

Doneldon

Freight-

No, unless you are very lucky. That is to say, it would be pure coincidence if two locos just happened to run at the same speed at a given throttle setting. This is one of the problems with EZ DCC. However, it's not critical that both locos move at exactly the same speed. It will be okay if there is just a little difference. However, you don't want a situation where one loco is spinning its wheels or is getting sort of dragged along. If the locos run at very discrepant speeds try to find a friend with programmable DCC who can help you with your locos.
                                                                              -- D

Freight Train

HI ACY

So if the engines are the same like 2 gp40's by bachmann or other brands that would be the best way to use this controller, They show how to program the 2 engines to run the same way on one address, but don't say weather they run the same... Just don't want to burn one up.....

Freight Train

HI Doneldon

What would be a good programmable Dcc system? I'm going to try 2 gp40's with the controller I got and see how they run Then go from there.

ACY

Two loco's can be identical, but they will not always run at the same speed or close to the same speed. So unless they run at the same speed, I would buy a Dyanmis or a competitor's equivalent system.

jward

there are a number of good entry level dcc systems which have full programming capability. digitrax zephyr and nce powercab are two that come to mind.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Freight Train

Ok Everybody

THANKS ALOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freight Train

Doneldon

Freight-

Everyone has an opinion about the best DCC system. The problem is, what's just what person A needs may be exactly what person B doesn't.

I suggest that you do some shopping on line, that is, go to various manufacturers' websites and see what features and power they offer for what price. If you are lucky and there's a model railroad club near you, ask different people what system they run and why, and see if they'll let you take it for a spin. That's really the best way I know of to pick a DCC system. On the other hand, perhaps you have been pleased with your Bachmann trains and want to stay with that brand. Well, you could do a whole lot worse than Bachmann's Dynamis. Unlike the EZ DCC it includes the full range of programming and it can run more trains before gets overloaded. Ah. That's another thing to think about.

How many trains do you expect to run at a time? Or, more precisely, how many locomotives do you plan to run at a time? Figure (very roughly) about .5 amp for a loco with a headlight or closer to one amp for locos with sound. That builds in a big cushion, but it's a place to start planning. Also, remember that locomotives made in the last 20 years or so have can motors which use much, much less current that even the better open-frame motors which were common before that time. I'm not telling you to never buy an older loco, just be aware that it will take more than its fair share of electricity and you might want to remotor it someday.

Take some time making your decision. You can run trains with a power pack or EZ DCC for now, while you investigate DCC systems. You will be spending a big enough chunk of change that you need to be sure that you've investigated DCC thoroughly and found the system which best fits your needs and wants at a price you can afford. But don't make price the main consideration because it could be that a few more dollars spent on your DCC system today, perhaps instead of some new cars, engines or scenery, will pay off handsomely in the future as a system which does what you want it to do, and which can grow as you grow with the hobby.

I envy you. You're at the point of discovering model trains and all of the things they do. I'm an old f**t so there's less discovery for me.  Good luck with your investigation and model trains.
                                                            -- D

jward

don
this hobby, and it's sister hobbies of railfanning and railroad history, are endelessly fascinating. there is no reason you can't try another facet and get the thrill of discovery all over again. been doing that for 40 years, and i still am digging up things i never knew existed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

Hmm thats funny I run 2 to 3 bachmann GP40's off my EZ commander and they seem to be matched pretty close .Just addressed them the same . the FT unit that came with the set ,and I bought a B unit off the internet and run them together consist and they run evenly . maybe I'm missing something but my Bachmann DCC locomotives being the same engines are geared and I guess you would say programmed the same and run great together .....

Joe323

Quote from: mf5117 on June 10, 2011, 06:51:07 AM
Hmm thats funny I run 2 to 3 bachmann GP40's off my EZ commander and they seem to be matched pretty close .Just addressed them the same . the FT unit that came with the set ,and I bought a B unit off the internet and run them together consist and they run evenly . maybe I'm missing something but my Bachmann DCC locomotives being the same engines are geared and I guess you would say programmed the same and run great together .....

That has been my experience too I run 2 GP40 Consists on Occasion

ACY

Quote from: mf5117 on June 10, 2011, 06:51:07 AM
maybe I'm missing something but my Bachmann DCC locomotives being the same engines are geared and I guess you would say programmed the same and run great together .....
You are missing something, just because your Bachmann GP40s are speed matched does not mean 2 other Bachmann GP40's will be matched. This is similar to how one person's loco may run on a certain radius, but another identical loco may require a larger radius.