News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crown Edition pass. cars

Started by phillyreading, May 30, 2011, 10:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

Is there a reason for the Crown Edition passenger cars to have a differant set of truck assemblies to be installed on the same set of passenger cars?

What I bought just recently was a set of three passenger cars, Reading Company King Coal. My older set has a different set of wheels, three axle with a set of plastic wheels non-flanged on the center axle, compared to the newer passenger cars I just bought that have all three axles with metal wheels with flanges, that look more like K-Line wheel sets than Williams, also the center roller looks like K-Line and not Williams. The other differance is that the newer cars have operating knuckle couplers, where the older ones have fixed couplers.
The passsenger cars look the same side by side, new compared to older ones.

Lee F.

rtraincollector

Lee just a guess but back some time ago Lionel didn't renew or wasn't able to renew there lease to K-line items and from reports given Atlas bought rights to some items , RMT got some rights to some items and Williams was suppose to get use of some also so what your seeing may be because of that. To me it sounds like an improvement on the cars. I have some Williams engines that have 3 axles and the wheels closest to center are not flanged I would prefer if they were going to do that to do it to the center axle but I like all 3 sets flanged the best.
Sounds like you got a nice set there.

phillyreading

That's interesting about Williams using or buying some K-Line items, and would explain why the truck assemblies lok like K-Line.
But why wasn't any marking difference put on the boxes?
The trucks that look like K-Line have operating couplers on them, also have the three sets of flanged wheels. Hope their not the problematic set of K-Line trucks, fall apart after a few months.
I paid $140.00 the set of six passenger cars about 11 years ago for the older set of Reading passenger cars and paid $90.00 for the set of three newer cars.

Lee F.