News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

This is a narrow gauge beauty! I want one!

Started by ksivils, June 11, 2011, 06:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpipkin

Check out Backwoods Miniatures at:  http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/0n3rtr.htm

Scroll down to bottom of page.

kcsivils1

The imported ones are all long sold off.

I checked with Backwoods about the skill needed to assemble the kit. Beyond those I possess by quite a bit.

Ahem. Bachmann reading?

Hamish K

The ready to run brass locomotives are very expensive as well.

The question of Bachmann making a Garratt has been raised before, while I would love to see one I doubt that it will happen. No Garratts ran in the USA, nor were there American designed export garratts. Even in the UK there were no narrow gauge garratts until the preservation era (the one shown by ksivils is an ex South African loco now running in Wales) although there were some standard gauge ones. Garratts ran in Australia, various parts of Africa, India and some other places in Asia, South America and a few european countries. Gauges ranged from 2 foot to five foot six inches, and included a number of 30 inch gauge locos. To gain a sufficient market a Garratt would probably need to sell fairly widely internationally and probably need to be a cooperative venture between Bachmann's American, British and European arms.

If a Garratt were to be made the South African loco shown by kisivils is a llkely candidate, quite a few are preserved in different countries, those in Wales are quite well known. Other possibilities include the original K1 loco, which ran in Tasmania, Australia and is now also preserved in Wales or G42, a 30 inch gauge Garratt that ran in Victoria, Australia and is now preserved on the "Puffing Billy" line, near Melbourne, Australia. My choice would be K1, as I like small locos, but I would probably purchase any Garratt that was produced at an affordable price!

Heres hoping, but as I said, I don't think it is likely.

Hamish

ebtnut

I concur with Hamish's comments.  Bachmann has considered doing a Garrett for the international market, though I don't know of any concrete plans at this juncture.  FWIW, there is one of these small Garretts (2 ft. gauge, I think) operating on a private estate in Texas. 

kcsivils1

Hope springs eternal.

Besides, if you don't ask, you can never hear yes!

Now if Bachmann would just produce the much requested H......!

darryl1936

Quote from: kcsivils1 on June 13, 2011, 03:21:26 PM
Hope springs eternal.

Besides, if you don't ask, you can never hear yes!

Now if Bachmann would just produce the much requested H......!

I'm really starting to wonder as it has been so long that many have asked for this engine that no one from Bachmann has even said , yes or no even a maybe?

TOF 

Stevelewis

A number  of  these  2-6-6-2  Garrats  run  in real life  on  the  Wesh Highland  railway  not  far  from  where  we  live  Big  locos  they  are  too   considering  the  2'0"  track  gauge

see www.festrail.co.uk  
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!