Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z track

Started by razorback, June 14, 2011, 03:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback

what do i do if there is battery acid and rust is on the track

ACY

Buy new track probably would be the only thing you could do.

jward

since you mentioned rust, i am assuming you are using track with steel rails. if and when you replace it, buy track with nickle silver rails. it won't rust.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

razorback

thanks but the only other place i can get track is on the internet and my family doesn't have a credit card

Jerrys HO

Some internet outlets will let you send a money order, One that does advertise is ZIGGYSMARTY. You could e-mail others that don' advertise and they may work with you.  You may wait longer for your merchandise but it is an option.

jward

where are you at? there should be a local hobby shop somewhere unless you are really out in the sticks.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

shaving appliance-

You can either send a money order to online hobby stores or buy on ebay with a direct withdrawl from a bank account. Alternatively, most ebay sellers will permit you to pay by money order if you ask. But be sure to ask before you bid or win something.
                                                                                        -- D

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on June 15, 2011, 08:26:17 PMAlternatively, most ebay sellers will permit you to pay by money order if you ask.
Actually in my extensive ebay experiences I have found it to be the exact opposite, that is 99% will not do anything other than PayPal, about 5 years ago money orders were usually accepted.

Jerrys HO

Dandelion and Achy,
You two are the good at MRRing but you two disagree more than my two teenage daughters. 

Doneldon

Jerry-

Thanks for noticing and for giving me a chance to really have some fun at ACY's expense, but it just wouldn't be sporting to do so with such a pregnant opportunity. I would cheapen myself if I were to cash in on such an easy lead-in.

Truth be told, I have a lot of respect for most of what ACY says. He's obviously a skilled and experienced model rail. Sometimes I think he doesn't know what he doesn't know, however, and he ends up talking through his hat or elsewhere. But I suppose we're all guilty of that from time to time. I must reluctantly acknowledge that I do that on occasion myself, though no where near as frequently as does ACY. (Sorry, ACY. I couldn't let this golden opportunity pass without at least a little something.)

-- D

jward

there is another option for those who don't have a credit card. wal mart sells reloadable visa cards for $3. everybody lives near a wal mart........

another option for finding used model rr track are flea markets. unfortunately most of what you find is brass or steel.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ACY on June 15, 2011, 10:32:49 PM
Quote from: Doneldon on June 15, 2011, 08:26:17 PMAlternatively, most ebay sellers will permit you to pay by money order if you ask.
Actually in my extensive ebay experiences I have found it to be the exact opposite, that is 99% will not do anything other than PayPal, about 5 years ago money orders were usually accepted.

It's my understanding that a few years ago eBay changed its policy to more or less force sellers to accept PayPal and nothing else (though every once in a while I do run across a seller who says he won't accept PayPal or will accept other forms of payment).

Seems pretty rotten to me, since eBay owns PayPal. So I guess they get you--I mean a fee--for listing items, and then they charge you a fee for using PayPal to receive money--which they require you to do.  >:(

OK, end of OT rant. ...

Doneldon

J bar J-

ebay's official policy is that all transactions should go through Paypal for everyone's safety. I think it's more about Paypal fees myself. ebay does allow sellers who can accept credit cards to do so but they clearly don't like the idea. I spend quite a bit of time on ebay and I've noticed a number of sellers who say to contact them about making payment another way. My guess is that violates ebay's rules but there are way too many postings for ebay to check. I've also had a number of people contact me about direct payment and I've not turned them down. But I don't solicit it. In the event that someone does pay me directly I always give them half of the Paypal fees I've saved. It's only fair.

Truth is, I think most people don't mind paying through Paypal. There is a degree of security with Paypal and it's not the buyers who are losing money to the fees (which seem to get higher every time I turn around). Also, Paypal allows buyers to pay right away with "guaranteed" funds so sellers are comfortable shipping immediately. That means the buyers see their merchandise much more quickly than if they send a check snail mail and then have to wait for the check to clear before the sellers ship. And you can't blame the sellers for wanting to know the check is good before they send out the goods.
                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

ACY

Technically money orders are still allowed, but the seller cannot state that he accepts them or ask for a buyer to send one. But you are not covered under the buyer protection policy if you use anything other than paypal. It is against ebay policy for a seller to state he accepts any payment method other than paypal in his listing, unless he has a store, he can say he accepts credit cards.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on June 17, 2011, 01:09:31 AM
J bar J-

ebay's official policy is that all transactions should go through Paypal for everyone's safety. I think it's more about Paypal fees myself. ebay does allow sellers who can accept credit cards to do so but they clearly don't like the idea. I spend quite a bit of time on ebay and I've noticed a number of sellers who say to contact them about making payment another way. My guess is that violates ebay's rules but there are way too many postings for ebay to check. I've also had a number of people contact me about direct payment and I've not turned them down. But I don't solicit it. In the event that someone does pay me directly I always give them half of the Paypal fees I've saved. It's only fair.

Truth is, I think most people don't mind paying through Paypal. There is a degree of security with Paypal and it's not the buyers who are losing money to the fees (which seem to get higher every time I turn around). Also, Paypal allows buyers to pay right away with "guaranteed" funds so sellers are comfortable shipping immediately. That means the buyers see their merchandise much more quickly than if they send a check snail mail and then have to wait for the check to clear before the sellers ship. And you can't blame the sellers for wanting to know the check is good before they send out the goods.
                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

I don't find anything here to disagree with. I agree with you, "hunnerd percent," that "it's more about PayPal fees." Sure, they don't like sellers to accept other credit cards because then eBay loses a PayPal transaction fee. I'm on eBay every day myself, as a potential buyer, because I collect "vintage" Mantua as well as keep on the lookout for trains I want to run. When I first began to buy on eBay,  I only bought from sellers who would accept a check. I didn't mind the wait for my purchase, I completely understood a seller wanting to be sure the check was good before shipping my item, and I was not about to let PayPal make any debits from my bank account--I still don't, matter of fact. Then I discovered that I could buy and have PayPal charge the purchase to a credit card, so that's what I did--I presume the seller still got his money right away, and I had the credit card company to back me up.

However, I may have missed some fine print somewhere, because eventually I got notices that I either had to begin letting PayPal debit my bank account, or else I had to take out PayPal's own credit card. Both options p****d me off, but I took the credit card as the lesser of two evils. I now use PayPal's credit card exclusively--though I have noticed that apparently, when I go to pay for a purchase, I could charge the payment to the credit card I had initially used. In fact, I just got a notice that I need to update the expiration date on that credit card.

I have never sold on eBay and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future, but I feel for the "little guy" who doesn't sell a lot, because my understanding is that the little guys get screwed for fees coming and going--for listing their items and then for accepting PayPal, which they are are told they have to do. Of course eBay is free to set its policies however it sees fit, but I think that policy stinks--just as I think it stinks that (as I understand it) I was forced either to allow debits from my bank account or take out a credit card that I did not need and did not want in order to continue purchasing.