News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z track

Started by razorback, June 14, 2011, 03:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

the question begs to be asked. what security or safety?

i've been burned by a seller paid through paypal, and was told by pp there was nothing they could do. haven't bought anything off ebay since.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Jeff-

You can "open a case" in customer support. I had to do that once (bought an item which was undeniably misrepresented and got only a rude reply from the seller) and ebay found in my favor, refunded all of my money, and told me I could keep the item. I didn't. But I felt that things were handled well.
                                                                           -- D

jward

been there done that. i filed a dispute for items not received. no luck with them. it's a shame. i guess like anything else, hype it enough it doesn't matter whether it's true or not people will believe it. their unwillingness to live up to the promise will cost them more in lost fees than the value of what i got ripped off for.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jboot111

i am the bro of razorback and we have not only e-z track with battery acid on it but also some other track (e-z is grey roadbed) without roadbed that has rust on it and we do not live near a wall mart

is there any house-hold mcgeyver way we can do this

ACY

No the track is more or less ruined, there is not much you can do at this point. Just buy more track from a local hobby shop, ebay, an online dealer, a flea market, garage/yard sale, or a train show. If you are outside of North America (U.S. and Canada) it is a bit harder to come by, but a hobby shop would have some.

Jim Banner

The grey roadbed E-Z Track should be recoverable unless it is really badly pitted.

First neutralize any acid still lurking in cracks and crevices by leaving the track overnight in a strong solution of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate.)  A  strong solution would be about a one pound box of baking soda in one gallon of cold water.

Next morning, wash the track under running cold water to remove the baking soda solution.

Clean the top of the rail heads and the inside edge of the rail heads using 320 grit wet and dry emery paper.  Then polish these surfaces with 600 grit wet and dry emery paper.  If you cannot get emery paper locally, use some Comet or Old Dutch cleanser powder on a wet sponge or rag.

Rinse the track under running water again to remove any stray emery.

Test the track.  If you have problems with electricity not getting from one section to the next, remove the rail joiners and replace them with new ones.

You could also try this with the rusted track that has no base.  No guarantees but if it works, it will save you a pocket full of money.  I use a process similar to this to derust and recover old Lionel 3-rail track which is also tin plated steel track.  An extremely thin coat of very light oil such as Bachmann's E-Z Lube Conductive Contact Lube     http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1086     will keep the rails from immediately rusting again.  If that is not available, use sewing machine oil.  If you have a neighbour who sews, he/she may be willing to give you a small square of cotton cloth with 10 or 12 drops of oil on it.  Use the oily cloth to wipe the cleaned rail head.

Tip - save the used baking soda solution.  It is great for cleaning the outsides of car batteries - just make sure you don't get it in your eyes.

I hope this is more use to you than a long discussion about eBay or being told to buy new track.  I know it it were my track, I would be trying to refurbish what I had before I ran out and spent a lot of money replacing it.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

Battery acid is usually made up mostly of Sulfuric Acid and contact with metals in the event of a spillage can lead to the liberation of hydrogen gas, which isn't good. The corrosive properties of sulfuric acid are accentuated by its highly exothermic reaction with water. I'm not sure what amount is on the track.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ACY on June 18, 2011, 11:39:29 PM
Battery acid is usually made up mostly of Sulfuric Acid and contact with metals in the event of a spillage can lead to the liberation of hydrogen gas, which isn't good. The corrosive properties of sulfuric acid are accentuated by its highly exothermic reaction with water. I'm not sure what amount is on the track.

Correction - battery acid is made up mostly of water.  It contains only about 33% sulphuric acid by weight and then only in a fully charged battery.  As the battery discharges, the percentage of sulphuric acid decreases to near zero.  Because pure sulphuric acid is almost twice the density of water, the volume percentages are considerably lower.  We don't know the state of charge of the battery which supplied the battery acid, assuming it came from a battery, but we can safely say that the reactivity of the acid would be that of dilute acid, not concentrated.  Therefore we can expect the zinc in the nickel silver to be vigorously attacked,  the nickel to be barely attacked, even after the cathodic protection provided by the zinc runs out, and copper not attacked at all.  With the steel track, the zinc coating will probably provide complete cathodic protection until the acid is exhausted but careful examination after cleaning will tell for sure.  Any liberation of hydrogen bubbles from metallic corrosion will have already ceased.  Any bubbles produced when immersing the track in the Sodium Bicarbonate solution will be harmless carbon dioxide.  Needless to say the highly exothermic reaction of concentrated sulphuric acid with water will not happen with the dilute acid.  If the water warms up at all, and it will if there is any lingering acid, it will not heat up much.  I am hoping the fellows will let us know how they made out cleaning the track and whether or not it is usable after the cleaning process.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

I was saying the type of acid that comprises it is sulfuric, but your percentages of acid to water appear to be  inline with what I read online.

razorback

i live in Vernon,CO.it is a 19 person village on the eastern plains

ACY

Quote from: razorback on June 20, 2011, 03:41:40 PM
i live in Vernon,CO.it is a 19 person village on the eastern plains
Vernon has 29 people according to the 2010 census, but that is really small. Try going to Yuma, maybe they might have a place.

Doneldon

razor-

Yuma is too small for a hobby shop. I suggest going to Caboose Hobbies in Denver or Mizell Model Trains in Westminster. Both are well recognized in the hobby, especially Caboose. They are a giant and long lasting retailer.
                                                                                                                               -- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on June 20, 2011, 11:03:41 PM
razor-

Yuma is too small for a hobby shop. I suggest going to Caboose Hobbies in Denver or Mizell Model Trains in Westminster. Both are well recognized in the hobby, especially Caboose. They are a giant and long lasting    -- D

I was in Denver last month. Mizell's just had a great sale. Even without a sale, Caboose Hobbies and Mizell's are well worth the visit. And I do believe they both sell on line. I know Caboose Hobbies does because I look at their web site fairly often.

When I'm in Denver, my friends never have to ask me where I want to go: Caboose Hobbies, Mizell's, and Shepler's (Western wear).  ;D