News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann berkshires

Started by the nitro man, June 15, 2011, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nitro man

what is the difference between the 50905 & 50906 bachmann berkshires?

jbsmith

It is difficult to tell in Bachmanns own photos but one has one headlight, the other has two.

the nitro man

well i got a NPR 759 berk. i've added about 2.25 ounces of lead already. it runs very well on my 18" radius curves, but it isn't what i would call a powerhouse, but i guess if i had wider curvers & metal wheels on my cars it would pull more. has anyone added any bullfrog snot to their berk yet?

ebtnut

I think the only differences are that the Railfan 759 version has white running board stripes and bare metal driver tires, while the NKP version is basic black with no lettering (I presume the buyer provides the decals for lettering). 

jonathan

Nitroman,

I have a bottle of BFS, but have not had to apply it to my berkshire.  After adding about 2 oz. of weight, it will pull 33+ cars easily, which is plenty for my layout.  I use 22" and 24" radius curves and all my wheels are metal.

This loco was not meant to run on 18" curves, but congrats on getting one that will do it.

If you do intend to add the BFS, try just one wheel at first, typically it is added to one of the drivers that has the main gear on the axle.  I can't remember if it's the second or third driver on that model. 

Since you've already added weight, a word of caution.  The motor is working harder every time you add weight or BFS.  Doing both may cause the motor to warm up, which can decrease its service life.  Opinions will vary, but I would rather take it easy on the loco just in case.  Increasing your curve radius will help.

Also, opinions vary about plastic wheels.  I use metal to reduce dirt build up.  I don't know if plastic wheels create more or less friction when it comes to pulling the car.

It's a great locomotive by the way.  Still surprised it's not a Spectrum.

Regards,

Jonathan

the nitro man

i'm surprised it's not a Spectrum too. it is very nice.