News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New powered Acela HHP-8

Started by Albert in N, June 16, 2011, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

Just curious about the couplers.  Photos show it with ugly old Rapidos, odd for a 2011 new model.  Hopefully, it comes with Bachmann's new working magnetic couplers.  Also, the $200 list price seems high compared to the new Kato Amtrak P42 ($110) or the Kato GG1 ($139).  Sure the HHP-8 already has DCC, but not sure it is compatible with other more common DCC systems.   This powered unit is a welcome addition to N scale eastern corridor Amtrak modelers.

dtpowell

I am too Albert. I purchased the Kato P42 Intercity set and just purchased a couple addition coaches. I would like to have the HHP-8 for the NE corridor section for a simulation of the "Cardinal." Sadly the only Pass. train that serves Cincinnati, my hometown. I would think the new batch of HHP-8 would have the new couplers , But, you never know.

If you wish to convert a Rapido equipted model to Microtrains, here is a link to a posting I found on "How to".
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=57499

Personally, I'd rather wait and buy one with the right couplers.

The $200 price is retail. I rarely pay full price. Check around on the internet. I've seen the HHP-8 for as low as $50.00.