News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trolley Minimum Radius

Started by outofscale, June 16, 2011, 10:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outofscale

Hi Folks, I am planning a specialized portable layout. I need to know the minimum radius that the Brill and PCC cars can handle. Usually that sort of info is part of the product description. I recall an Athearn switcher in the 1950's that ran on a track with a silver dollar as the inside rail. So, What is the minimum radius for Brill and PCC trolleys?
Thanks, Bill
Bill Porter - I never met a train I didn't like

ACY

It is variable. Bachmann recommends 11.25" Radius or greater,  but most should make like 7 or 8 inch radius, some will make even tighter radius curves, each trolley/streetcar is different within a range of a few inches.

outofscale

OK. Thanks. I suspect I will just have to get one or two and try them. I was expecting the radius to be in the 6 or 7 inch range considering the short length and independent trucks. Do you know if the Brill or the PCC style handles shorter radii?

ACY

Quote from: outofscale on June 16, 2011, 05:18:40 PMDo you know if the Brill or the PCC style handles shorter radii?
Some will, some won't, just ask you LHS if you can test it on 6 inch radius before committing to buying it.

outofscale

UPDATE: I made a small loop of Atlas flex track. It is a circle with radius 7 inches. On this loop, I have successfully run an older RS-3. Such a loco is longer than the trolley chassis from Bachmann. Next up, I will try a Bachmann Brill trolley on the loop.
Bill

ACY

Quote from: outofscale on June 19, 2011, 03:49:37 PMIt is a circle with radius 7 inches. Next up, I will try a Bachmann Brill trolley on the loop.
You should be fine with 7 inch radius, maybe 1 out of 100 might have an issue for no apparent reason. So there is a 99% chance you'll be fine.

outofscale

:) Yes indeed, the Brill trolley navigates the 7-inch circle just fine - both directions and both orientations. I am pretty sure it would handle tighter radii as well. The nearly new trolley arrived and worked. I cleaned a little lint out and added a small amount of lubrication to help it work even better.

I have not tried a PCC style trolley.

Bill

railtwister

Hey Bill,

Is your new trolley a Brill or a Peter Witt? And have you seen the Uni-tram street trackage from Kato?

Regards,
The other Bill in FL

outofscale

It is a  Brill. I have plenty of old flex track left over from my old layout. Now, I am planning a portable layout to go into a guitar carry case. My intent was to spend a minimum on track (read that as 'no $$$') and jut have a little fun at train shows. I saw a photo of one and it struck a chord.

You can check out my old N-Scale layout at my personal site: http://wpporter.duckburg.us/ if you have nothing better to do.

Bill