News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stony Point Wharf Layout

Started by bdl, June 18, 2011, 11:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdl

Bach-Man: Forgive me if this has been already addressed (and please point me to the appropriate thread(s) if so), but I have been captivated by the SPW layout ever since it appeared in the On30 Annual.  Is there anywhere to locate the actual track plan other than the photo spread in the Annual article?  I'd like to import it into TrainPlayer to experiment with it and (ideally) into the RR CAD program 3rd Planit as well to tweak it for may available space.  Too, it would be great if a more detailed story could be presented in one of the modeling magazines about concept, design, construction, operation and - most important - lessons learned from the project (what went well, what would you change if redoing it and why, etc.).  I (and perhaps others?) would eagerly devour anything you care to share about this project.  You did a great job on it and for my purposes, it's a winner.

the Bach-man

Dear BDL,
Happily, the display is currently in my basement. I'll figure out the exact plan and post more pictures in the gallery.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

bdl

Thanks!  I'll keep an eye out for announcement of the update.

bdl

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 18, 2011, 10:12:50 PM
Dear BDL,
Happily, the display is currently in my basement. I'll figure out the exact plan and post more pictures in the gallery.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Did the SPW pix get posted? Still interested in them if available!

the Bach-man

Dear BDL,
I'll be at the WGH show in Chicago this weekend. When I return, I hope to refurbish the display. There's a turnout glued shut right in the middle.  I will try to get some pictures then.
Sorry for the delay- Life is what od does to your plans!
the Bach-man

bdl

Thanks, Bach-man:  I'll check back later next week to see if you've had a chance to post pix.  Does the layout ever travel anylonger?  I'm in Seattle and would really like to see it sometime if it were to appear in the region (say, at the narrow gage convention in near-by Bellevue or down in Portland for WGH in February).

dani

I'm also interested!
I already have the 2010 annual, but I'm starting to assemble the Sylvan 45" steam tug boat like the one in your layout, so more photos are welcome! Can you make a photo of it? Just for inspiration, there isn't any other picture about the Sylvan tug around the web..

Thank you very much
Greetings from Italy
Daniele
Sand Creek RR - www.mynarrowgauge.org

bdl

Hello, Bach-man:

Any chance of some additional photos of the Stony Point Wharf layout?  I am planning to incorporate that plan into a larger layout (ready to lay track) and I'd love to see some more of the work you have done.  Also, is there any more narrative available regarding it other than the 2010 On30 article?  Actually, there are two of us here in Seattle that are interested in duplicating the project in our respective layouts and I'd guess that there are others out here in On30-land who'd like more insight into the project as well.  For example (recognizing that as a display layout certain compromises had to be made), what has really worked well on it for you, what would you change if you did it over and why, and what alterations would you make if it were not a traveling display? 

Thanks!   

the Bach-man

Dear All,
My apologies- I've been really jammed up and haven't had time to take new pictures.  I'll try to find some in-progress shots.
As to what I'd do differently, especially if the plan was incorporated into a larger layout, I'd double the eight foot length. The plan provides a lot of switching, but in eight feet it's mostly a car at a time.  I'm very happy with the buildings and details, but plan to add a lot more clutter.
The Sylvan tug is a beauty; it's one of my favorite things.
I appreciate the interest and I'll make an effort to gather some more photos.
Best to all,
the Bach-man

bdl

At the risk of being a pest, is there any chance the Stony Point demo layout will appear at the Narrow Gauge Convention in September as part of the Bachmann vendor display?

the Bach-man

Dear BDL,
No, it's way too far to transport without damage. I only take it when I'm able to drive it myself, so it's relegated to the Northeast.
Maybe next year at the Amherst show in Springfield...
BTW, I've gotten some pics together, but I'm having issues with the photo gallery.
Efforting...
Best,
the Bach-man

bdl

Dear Bach-man:
That's what I suspected but figured it was worth a shot anyway.  I do understand, though the chances of my getting to the East coast are slim to none.  I'll eagerly await the photos, and thanks for the "efforting!"

bdl

Hello, B'man:

I'm still interested in whatever photos you might be able to post that wouldaugment those that appeared in the On30 Annual, if you get the chance to post some.