News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc

Started by ramdbm, June 19, 2011, 08:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramdbm

I am looking to buy a dcc train set package. I have quiet a bit of the quick track with black base, will this work with the dcc set and nickel-silver  track, and how large of a layout will it support.

ACY

The track can be used interchangeably, but the steel is not as good because you can't soldier feeders to it without having "issues." Keep in mind DCC requires the track to be cleaner than DC. No DCC system is limiting as far as the size of the layout, it is limiting as far as how many amps you can draw through locomotives and lighted passenger cars, the E-Z Command can run 3 or 4 non-sound DCC locos, you may need extra feeder wires the further you get from the original feeder.

jward

what exactly are you looking to do with dcc. your answer will determine what system you should be looking at. some are stripped down, basic systems, others have full capabilities including automation of the railroad.

how many locomotives will you be running at one time? that's a big one, and the answer to that will determine what you should buy far more than the lenght of your track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Railman763

I am new to Bachmann trains, and model railroading. I have 3 non DCC locomotives and wondering if it's possible to install a DCC decoder in them. The locomotives that I have are a 0-6-0 Chattanooga locomotive, a UP EMD GP40 diesel, and a USRA 0-6-0 & Vanderbilt tender w/ smoke and lights. I saw the video of the DCC ez comand controller and trains and got hooked, however don't have the money yet to afford it.

ACY

Quote from: Railman763 on June 20, 2011, 12:25:55 PM
I am new to Bachmann trains, and model railroading. I have 3 non DCC locomotives and wondering if it's possible to install a DCC decoder in them. The locomotives that I have are a 0-6-0 Chattanooga locomotive, a UP EMD GP40 diesel, and a USRA 0-6-0 & Vanderbilt tender w/ smoke and lights.
It is possible, but I wouldn't waste my time, it is actually much cheaper and easier to buy them from dealers with DCC then it is to buy the DC version and convert them. If you don't need or want bemf, then I would just buy an 0-6-0 and diesel with factory installed DCC. The GP40 is a bit tight on space, but can be done, if you want to do the 0-6-0's you will have to convert the tender for pick up, and that money and time could probably be better used elsewhere.

Jim Banner

Railman763,

I see you already have the locomotives.  While it is normally cheaper to buy a locomotive with a decoder already in it than it is to buy the same locomotive plus a decoder and then have the decoder installed by someone else, in no way is a new locomotive with a decoder cheaper than installing a decoder in your existing locomotive.  To install the decoder yourself, you will need a small soldering iron, some rosin core "radio" solder, a pair of wire cutters, a small screwdriver or two and the patience to learn how to do the job.  If your locomotives are DCC ready, installing a decoder may be as simple as opening the tender, plugging in the decoder, and reassembling the tender.  In the simplest case, all you need are the screwdrivers.  Those of us who install our own decoders can and do pick up quality used locomotives quite cheaply as people who are afraid to install decoders sell off their decoderless locomotives for low prices then buy the same locomotives new with decoders on board for much higher prices.  Not only do you save money by installing your own decoders, you get to pick the features you want and the price you can afford.  While ACY may be a busy man who cannot afford to waste his time, many of us prefer to put a wad of tax free money back in our own pockets in exchange for a little effort.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Railman763

Thanks Jim for the advice, however i don't think I will be able to handle such a job. I  do have a friend who works at my local hobby store who works with model trains, he may be able to convert the locos for me, besides if I try to install the decoders by my self, I might do more harm to the engine. I don't have much delicate hands, and truthfully Im a little impatient. But first, I will need to buy a DCC train set first. I was thinking of getting the duel Santa fe trainset, it's only $200 plus tax.

ACY

Quote from: Jim Banner on June 20, 2011, 02:47:29 PM
While ACY may be a busy man who cannot afford to waste his time, many of us prefer to put a wad of tax free money back in our own pockets in exchange for a little effort.
It is not necessarily that I don't have time to hard-wire a few decoders, it is more that the locos in question do not warrant the effort and time it would take. I would much rather work on the scenery and other parts of my layout which have been under construction since 2004. I have plenty of locomotives already equipped with DCC, some with sound, and I also have some with DC.
For the locomotives in question I would have advised to just purchase the DCC equipped version since they do not run particularly great anyways, if he is not as experienced as you, Mr. Banner, he might fry a few decoders which can add up pretty quick even at $20-$25 each. Starting out you don't need a decoder with all kinds of fancy features if you'll just have an E-Z Command or other basic system which can't do any advanced programming. I utilize my time installing decoders into locomotives that run well enough and are detailed enough to warrant it. In my book the Bachmann's locomotives in question while good economical locomotives are not quite of the caliber that I would deem to warrant my time.
At any rate if he were to sell his locomotives, assuming he did not overpay for them and that they are in like new condition, he could make back a pretty good amount of what he paid, about 85%, then turn around and buy the DCC equipped versions and he would only end up spending a max of a few dollars per locomotive, and could actually come out even or ahead starting with a DC loco and ending with a DCC loco, without having to do any work and having a loco that would run almost as good as the same loco but with bemf and other features. I have found that with these Bachmann locos (not Spectrums and others), there is not much difference between the $15 stock Bachmann decoder and the $25 decoder with bemf and all the fancy features. I am not sure why this is the case for me, it is just what I noticed.

Railman763

Have you tried trains.com, they have all sorts of trains, different scale, and different brand. What's interesting about this is the price, they will have a %off for most of the products.

ACY

Quote from: Railman763 on June 20, 2011, 04:16:04 PM
Have you tried trains.com, they have all sorts of trains, different scale, and different brand. What's interesting about this is the price, they will have a %off for most of the products.
Who is this addressing, I am confused, I do not need any more locomotives, I have hundreds, which is more than I'll ever need.

ramdbm

As far as trains i am looking at maybe 3 two main and one switcher. layout would be two main and some sidings. would you suggest mixing the nickel-silver sections in and hooking feeders to them?

jward

ideally you'd want to avoid the use of steel track altogether. steel track requires far more frequent cleaning than nickle silver. and dcc is particularly susceptible to dirty track, which interferes with the decoder's ability to read the signals the command station is sending it. worst case, you'll get a partial signal loss which will cause the locomotive not to respond to commands until it reaches cleaner track. i said worst case because  to me the loss of control of a moving train is far worse than track so dirty it won't run at all. if you are using steel track sections, this will be where your signal loss will most likely occur.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

A quick check on prices shows used 0-6-0's with tender but no decoder selling in the $10 to $15 range on eBay.  New 0-6-0's with tender and decoder are selling in hobby shops in the $65 to $85 range plus shipping.  In my books, that is an expensive upgrade for this locomotive.  With the GP-40, the upgrade is a better deal.  Used ones without decoders are selling from $5 to an incredible $30.  I say incredible because The Favorite Spot will happily sell you a new one with warranty for the same price.  One with a decoder is only $4 more.  However, if you are not happy with doing the installation yourself, then that eliminates this option.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

My LHS must have great prices. As it turns out, I can sometimes get a new Bachman standard line DCC loco for less than a new DC version of the same loco. Last year, I bought a UP 0-6-0 w/ vandy tender & DCC from my LHS brand new for $40 after tax. The DC version was $45. On ebay, I bought a DC 0-6-0 from the Favoritespot for $22 shipped, I decided I did not want it after a while, and resold it 2 years later as like new for $50 shipped. Maybe I am just lucky.