News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bending a strait switch

Started by slack, June 20, 2011, 02:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slack

Hello has anyone tried to "curve" a strait switch? I thought Micro Eng switches were curvible. I need to bend 2 switches to 24"outside rad. Any thoughts?
SLACK

Jim Banner

Many turnouts have their ties linked together by plastic strips running underneath the rails.  To curve the turnout, it is usually necessary to remove these strips between every pair of ties or between every second pair of ties to let the rails curve and slide longitudinally through the ties.  Work slowly and keep checking the gauge of the track with a track and wheel gauge.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RGS Goose

Hi slack,
Many years ago Shinohara sold turnouts that were made to be curved to the radius you needed (within sensible limits). You may be able to find a couple of these if you advertise for them.
Otherwise Peco make curved turnouts that will probably solve you problem.
RGS Goose.

darryl1936

You can bend a straight switch somewhat but ties need to be loose from each other or at least quite a few and very slowly bend the rail keeping it in gauge.. I actually removed a number of plastic ties and used wood ties there after to fasten the rail down with spikes.  If you don't, the rail always wants to return to it's original position especially if you bend it a lot.

Another is to buy the Tru-Scale switch kits. Of course you will need various lengths of ties to do the job.

TOF in Hawaii