News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

H16-44 Diesel Loco

Started by macwestman, July 01, 2007, 02:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macwestman

Does anyone know which MT coupler to use with the new H16-44?

Bachmann did a nice job on the engine, and then ruined it with these cheap couplers that don't work well with anything.  Why can't they just ship the engines with either MT or Accu-Mate couplers installed and save everyone the hassle of converting? 

conradin

Ask Joe D'Amato at MT.  joe@micro-trains.com

The last time I checked, MT still does not list a conversion for the H16-44.

macwestman

Thanks.  I tried asking Micro-Trains, but they didn't answer.

brokemoto

You are on your own, there.  MT has not figured out yet, what to do with it (assuming that it intends to do ANYthing).  The 1015/1016 will come out to the proper height, but there is a problem with anchoring it. 

I glued a block into it and screwed in the coupler.  A gentleman who goes by the moniker wm3798 did a tutorial  on how he did it.  You can find it on either the Atlas board or therailwire.

Unfortunately, the Bachmann knuckle couplers do not sit at the proper height.

conradin

Quote from: macwestman on July 01, 2007, 02:52:06 AM
Thanks.  I tried asking Micro-Trains, but they didn't answer.

It usually take them awhile to answer...give them a week.
Most likely Joe will ask you to take a picture (underside) of the loco and send it to him, and he will be able to give you a good guess.

GlennW

Joe hangs out on the N & Z forums at TrainBoard.com. You can try posting your question there.

The difficulty may be in getting a shim to work with the coupler. Atlas/Kato/LifeLike locos use the same clip coupler box system on most of their locos. I'd like to see Bachmann do the same. Not sure what shim  may be necessary to make the correct coupler height.

RWSmith

I had the same problem with my Fairbanks Morse. I asked the service dept. and they didn't have an anwser either. So this is my quick fix. I simply desided to run the coupler up against the car that would always be connected and crazy glued them together. Because the engine coupler fit right under the micr trains coupler it worked. Cheap fix, but you can't notice it.

TCWORLD

Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

Williamson

a fella on the Atlas forum was using a MT-1133 on another Bachmann loco, and I assume the coupler pockets are all the same on locos with the Bmann Knuckles.

I plan to try these but have not as yet.

- Mark

TCWORLD

the coupler pockets on the H16-44 are very different to other locos. Most B'mann locos use a draft gear box, like that which comes with the #1133 coupler, however on the H16-44 the coupler attaches on by a eye on the back of the coupler instead of a T-Shank. At the moment the best way to go is any of the #2000 (1,2,3 or 4) couplers. which involve drilling and tapping a hole to fit. Having said that it appear that if you get two sets of the #1046, you should be able to simply fit the couplings without trouble, i'm not sure though. look on page 3 of this http://www.micro-trains.com/Coupler%20diagrams.pdf
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

taz-of-boyds

TCWORLD,

Thanks for the link, I was looking for that.  I must look in the wrong place and could not find it!

Charles