News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track layout ?builder?

Started by Randy T, June 25, 2011, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy T

I just purchased my first HO Bachmann train.  It came with minimal track and I want to expand.  Is there any type of program that I can input the layout/size that I want and it helps with what track pieces that I will need?

ACY

Not as straight forward, but there are track design programs. The easiest way to expand is to buy a bunch of flex track and some #6 turnouts.

Jerrys HO

I use anyrail.com alot easier than going out wasting money on pieces you might not need . Plus it's a great tool for expanding. There is a trial version for free up to 50 pieces of track, full version was around $50.00 .

NarrowMinded

I also use anyrail great program for testing out track configurations without having to guess, it has differant track libraries including ez track to choose from, the free download is great the paid version is the same but without limits.

Nm-jeff

Doneldon

Randy-

Do it like the real railroaders: Decide what you want to build and then get track which lets you do it rather than letting the track make the decisions for you. Want a long track on a shelf on the wall or around the top of you room? Measure the room, decide the radius of the curves at the corners and buy accordingly. Want to start with a 4'x8' like most of the rest of us at one point? Buy a sheet of plywood and start adding track, maybe an oval for continuous running, a passing siding or two, some spur tracks for the freight loads, a reverse loop (or two!), and so on.

Actually, in the case of a 4'x8' there are many books full of plans. All of them will have some kind of a loop, maybe even a twice around, but vary the rest according to what kind of layout you want, like just running trains (gets pretty boring pretty quickly), lots of switching, passenger service (not the best on 4'x8'), an engine terminal, or whatever. These books will have some information on what kind of wood to buy and how to put it together to make a strong, reliable base for your railroad without breaking either the bank or your back.
                                                                                    -- D

Randy T

:D
Thanks for all the help.  that program is great