Train collision in Nevada today... watch your local News

Started by NarrowMinded, June 24, 2011, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Nice one Doneldon. Anyway, that's surprising NarrowMinded how they looked gutted.

Guilford Guy

I was reading an article a couple days ago, which accused the cars involved to be unstable. From looking at the pictures it appears every car remained upright and on the track. I'm very sorry for those involved, but the media has really blown this out of proportion.
Alex

Johnson Bar Jeff

I haven't heard or read anything about the cars being unstable in ordinary use. I did hear a report on TV that the condition of the burned cars was considered dangerous to emergency personnel and thus was hindering the search for additional casualties, but the report didn't elaborate on why or how the cars were dangerous.

jward

the instability may come from the heat of the fire damaging the structural integrity of the cars. this would be especially true if they are made out of aluminum like many freight cars are.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BillingsRR

The media is having fun with this story for a few reasons. The main reason is due to the government's recent findings on Osama Bin Laden's computers and the ties to terrorist documents and their topics being attacking American Railroads. The media sees this as a way to say this incident was an attack. The media loves to jump to conclusions. It happens all the time, it is one of the ways they make their money.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: BillingsRR on June 30, 2011, 05:30:43 PM
The media is having fun with this story for a few reasons. The main reason is due to the government's recent findings on Osama Bin Laden's computers and the ties to terrorist documents and their topics being attacking American Railroads. The media sees this as a way to say this incident was an attack. The media loves to jump to conclusions. It happens all the time, it is one of the ways they make their money.

I have seen no reports that even remotely characterized this accident as a terrorist act. Perhaps others have, but I haven't.

NarrowMinded

QuoteI have seen no reports that even remotely characterized this accident as a terrorist act.

I have not either, the day of the accident there was speculation, but after that They just say they were trying to find out why the driver only applied the brakes at the last second.

A lot of people are unaware that late model vehicles have a "black box" it's part of the vehicle computer, it tracks speed, braking, motor rpm, airbag deployment, Etc.

Not sure what year the truck was though it may have had it.

NM

RAM

The reports that I have seen that trucking company had a poor record. 

BillingsRR

My local news channel for FOX loves to jump to conclusions all of the time. Their program is where I heard the classification of it as a terrorist act, I don't believe it, but the staff at FOX does. Yet,  wasn't FOX the one who reported Obama was killed by the US Government instead of Osama? So again, never sure how accurate their "reports" are. I can't stand their host so I never watch their program, but I did watch all of my local channnels for coverage of the train collision to get more information.