News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Erasing road names

Started by TempesT, July 01, 2007, 05:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TempesT

I need to remove "only" the road name from a Spectrum loco, without damaging the below painting (i couldn't get an "unlettered" one). I've seen such a work once but i have no idea how to do it or what kind of "solvent" i can use .
I'm not in the USA so brand names won't help that much, i'm sorry.

Cheers!

BillD53A

Use a hobby knife with a curved edge at the tip, and gently scrape the lettering away. 

SteamGene

If it's Spectrum steam, using a pencil eraser.  I use the kind that the entire "pencil" is an eraser.  It starts slow, but once it starts coming - it comes.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TempesT

Yes, it's a steam loco (0-6-0 saddle-tank), i'm sorry i've forgotten to mention it.
Tanks a lot! As a "two left-handed man"  :) I'll first try the pencil eraser if i don't succeed i'll try the curved edge hobby knife.

lanny

Hi Tempest T,

Here's another suggestion to consider.

Remembering  that Spectrum road names and numbers are paint, not decals (silk screened or stamped), you may find  that there will be some slight 'marring' of the surface, no matter how carefully or in what manner you remove the road name/numbers.

I use finger nail polish remover (with an acetone base) scrubbing gently with a tiny brush or 'Q-tip' until the painted letters/numbers are gone. My suggestion would be to get a 'semi gloss' black spray paint and after you have the letteing removed and the surface clean and dry, shoot a very light coat over the area from which you removed the roadname. Careful masking will be important before airbrushing.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

TempesT

Hi Lanny!

Thanks for the explanation and congratulations for those precious UP pics, i'm not exactly an UP fan too, but i'm definetly a steam fan. :)

Well, I've tryed both methods (BillD53A's and SteamGene's), besides an acetone base solvent as well. You're right, the surface always "suffers" a little, but i have to say i'm not an expert. I've used an old rolling stock as a "guinea-pig", so my loco is still "untouched". ;)

Thank you all, i think a little more practice will does it good.

Cheers!
Tempest

SteamGene

Tempest,
word to the wise - what works on one brand, doesn't work on another.  That's why I said the pencil method works on Bachmann steam locomotives.  I don't even know that it will work on Bachmann diesel or Bachmann cars.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

Do you use a special erasure? i.e. ... one with abrasive in it, or the white polyviynal style?

Thanks

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lanny,
The first I used was on on the top of a #2 wood pencil like any 7th grader would use.  Then I bought the same eraser encased in wood - like a pencil.  More leverage.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Quote from: SteamGene on July 01, 2007, 07:51:51 PM
Lanny,
The first I used was on on the top of a #2 wood pencil like any 7th grader would use.  Then I bought the same eraser encased in wood - like a pencil.  More leverage.
Gene

I think I have something like the eraser Gene is describing. It's painted white, with blue plastic bristles on the end where the eraser should be, except the whole thing is an eraser.

I think they call the thing some sort of typewriter ink eraser, but I'm not sure.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

TempesT

Hi all!

Yes, I got you Gene, that's why I'm still hoping it will work fine when used on my loco, just felt like trying out first to get a bit used to it. I got
"two left hands", as i said first. :)

I think i'm using the right "pencil eraser" type, they are also called typewriter ink eraser over here too (Brazil). They look different, but their points seems to be alike, as far as i could tell by the pic.

Thank you all, once more!