News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Cog Locomotives

Started by gunslinger473, July 01, 2007, 01:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunslinger473

Dear Mr. Bach Man,
      This is just a thaught but you might find it interesting. Now don't take this the wrong way but I'll be mentioning a product from LGB. And just so you know when it comes to model trains you are my favorite brand.
   Any way on to business. For quite some time LGB has had a model of a steam "Rack" locomotive. Its styled after a European steamer but it has the ability to climb 25% grades. Its this fact that got me thinking of adding a "Cog" railway to my route. What I could do is buy the LGB model and Americanize it. Or I could take the frame, motor, ect... and build my own shell around it to represent an American cog engine. A large Scale Cog locomotive may not seem to be a popular choice for a large scale loco' but I think it would be an interesting addition to your large scale line. The Manitu & Pikes Peake Cog Railway has a steam locomotive that is a perfect example of american cog locomotives and (in my opinion) would make an excelent model. Other examples are the engines used on the Mt. Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire. So Mr. Bach Man what is your opinion?

VirginiaCentral

Wow, a 1:20.3 cog engine.  Now that's an interesting idea. But from what I can see, neither the Pikes Peak not the Mt. Washington Cog Railways are narrow gauge.  That would mean that Bachmann would have to "create" a prototype.  Of course, I could overlook the gauge problem for such an interesting loco as the the Pikes Peak engines.

Mr. Bachmann knows that I would still like to see a T boiler Shay or Climax.  Mayby I'll try building one.  Garden Railways magazine's PDF download this month is a small climax.  Here's my chance to have the engine I want :)

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Matthew (OV)

Jeff Damerst at Shawmut Car Shops made one for me out of a B-mann 2-4-2 ... and then went on to make a very nice one for someone out of an LGB engine, pushed by the powered tender.

So it's do-able if you want one.

Oh ... and technically, the MWCRR is narrow gauge, though probably the widest of the narrow, at 56 inches   ::)

Matthew (OV)

the Bach-man

Dear Gunslinger,
I'll pass along your request.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Spule 4

The LGB steam rack locos are neat.  I had one I just sold.  The protoype was built in Switzerland by SLM, and SLM rack locos ended up all over the world, so I do no think you would need to "Merican" ize it.
Garrett