News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Accucraft Couplers

Started by Matt M, July 02, 2011, 02:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt M

I have a brass Accucraft long caboose in flying rio grande scheme (Bachmann needs to make more numbers for their long caboose in this scheme as I also have one from Bachmann).  The rear coupler is broken off and I have purchased a replacement pair.  What micromark nutdriver set will I need to take off the remnant of the old coupler and screw on the new one?  I have a set of calipers but can't lay my hands on them at present.

Advice would be appreciated.

glennk28

First of all--numbers.  There were six round-roofed long cabooses--RGS 0404 with single window cupola, Rio Grande 0503, 0505, 0517, 0540, and 0574,  all with two side windows in the cupola.   In later years 0503 had the side windows rarthest from the cupola end boarded over.

I had trouble removing some hex-head screws on an AMS car--finally got them out with needle-nose pliers. 

Kadee 901 will replace the Accucraft.  If you break the  screws, I'd drill out and tap 0-80 or 1-72--whichever is closer. 

Glenn Joesten

glennk28

In a pinch, I have used an allen-head screw for a socket wrench.  gj

Matt M

Thanks Glenn, much appreciated.  I will try with needle nosed pliars when I get use of my right arm again (broken collarbone).  I am using accucraft couplers as most of my rollingstock is made by them.  At this point I have a three locos 2 K-27s, and a Bachmann 4-4-0 to which I will hopefully add a Bachmann Porter.  Rollingstock wise I have a quite a few AMS freight cars and a couple of AMS passenger cars, a bachmann long caboose and framed tank car with a couple of other Bachmann items to possibly be added.  On balance, convenience favours accucraft couplers at least for now.

glennk28

Matt--the new 900-series Kadee type E couplers are fullu compatable with the accucraft--I have Accucrafts on the Accucraft equipment and Kadee 900's on the Bachmann cars and locos--I'd like to see Accucraft make a coupler with the same shank as the Kadee 830--as Bachmann does.

gj

Matt M

Which of the E Series did you use for the k27s and for the caboose or tank cars?  Is it the Kadee #916?

glennk28

Kadee #900 is the drop-in replacement for most Bachmann Spectrum  cars, snd the K-27 tender.  #901 fits the link pockets on the geared locos, and drop-in replacemenmt for the accucraft coupler.  #916 id just the coupler head fits the Bachmann shank as on front of K-27, both  ends of the 2-6-6-2.

Kadee  has a couple of pages of conversion recommendations in their site.  Or call Sam Clarke in  the afternoons. 

gj

Matt M

Thanks. The Kadee conversion instructions on their site would have required some guess work.

Bruce Chandler

I use a 3mm Wiha driver for all the Accucraft couplers.
Bruce