Main Menu

Where is Sodor?

Started by J3a-614, July 04, 2011, 09:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shining time

long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

Anthony P2

Quote from: JJ96 on July 11, 2011, 08:11:36 PM
WE do realize we are fantizing over a railway thats possibly not there and to add icing ont the cake the fake island has talking trains that are working!  ::) I swear we are not normal people. We are true-hearted Thomas fans. ;)

and? can't we forget about the "Sodor's not real" part? what if Sodor was real?
mom: "How was your day, honey?"
me: "great! i took a walk in to Great Waterton town and talked to Flora and Stanley. then i got the 9:15 out of there and took a ride up to  Knapford and Thomas took me up to Ffarqhuar, and saw Percy shunting trucks. He told me they were thinking about getting another engine to help him out at the harbor. Charlie: i think his name is? He's supposed to be some funny engine from the mainland. I don't know, we'll wait and see. ;)"

think of how awesome that would be! ;)

J3a-614

Sodor could be real, in a way. . .

Some movie men back in 1947 understood this, as seen in this clip from the classic film, "Miracle on 34th Street;" here, Edmund Gwenn (as Kris Kringle) is talking about a place called the "Imagi-nation" to a young Natalie Wood, who doesn't believe in such "silliness:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI_Rzl6KSYs

Never saw the 1994 version--may want to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiypbCFV7Ao

Of course, one thing the 1994 version wouldn't have is Maureen O'Hara (here with Wood and John Payne)--but it would have been neat if the original had also been in color, with O'Hara with her red hair and flashing green eyes. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mCOeBEwv0

branmas

Quote from: Anthony P2 on July 11, 2011, 10:08:27 PM
Quote from: JJ96 on July 11, 2011, 08:11:36 PM
WE do realize we are fantizing over a railway thats possibly not there and to add icing ont the cake the fake island has talking trains that are working!  ::) I swear we are not normal people. We are true-hearted Thomas fans. ;)

and? can't we forget about the "Sodor's not real" part? what if Sodor was real?
mom: "How was your day, honey?"
me: "great! i took a walk in to Great Waterton town and talked to Flora and Stanley. then i got the 9:15 out of there and took a ride up to  Knapford and Thomas took me up to Ffarqhuar, and saw Percy shunting trucks. He told me they were thinking about getting another engine to help him out at the harbor. Charlie: i think his name is? He's supposed to be some funny engine from the mainland. I don't know, we'll wait and see. ;)"

think of how awesome that would be! ;)
that would be so cool! i agree, we are true hearted thonas fans, and yet, I WANTED MY LAYOUT TO BE DONE BY MY BIRTHDAY AND IT HASNT BEEN STARTED!

TheJJ

First of all that would have to be the coolest thing ever. But me personally I'd rather live up in the mountains with the narrow gaugwe engines. Imagine this
Me: Oh today was great.
Father: WHy so?
Me: Well as you know there are a set of tracks going alongside the road to school. So as I was walking it got so very hot out, and I heard a whistle.
Skarloey driver's: JJ96 (insert real name there) we just finished our morning run, you look mighty hot, do you want a ride?
Skarloey: Yes JJ please
ME: Well sure, Then during our lunch break outside Peter Sam came by with the refreshments car. Then I got a ride home from Skarloey again because he finsihed his evening run.
Father: Wow son that sounds like a doozie.
Me: The best part is they promised to take me down to see the big engines tomorrow.
(Life on Sodor would be great)!!!!!!!!!! ;D

branmas

and maybe somehow we could show off our layouts!

deviousdiesel10

That would be  :D :D AWESOME :D :D to live on Sodor, but I would want to go on the Magic Railroad(I know, kinda silly) but it would be cool, I could go from the U.S to Sodor on one line!
Me:Today was pretty cool.
Parents:How so?
Me: Well, Lady took me to Sodor, and then she brought me to Gordon.
Parents:And then?
Me:Gordon brought me up his hill, saw Percy and Toby bring some sick animals to the vet, and then watched James angriley shunt trucks.
Parents:Anything else?
Me:Nothing really, Just talked with all the engines and then Lady brought me home.
Parents:Sounds like you had a fun day.
Lady:(from nearby shed)He sure did.

branmas

i would just live by the big engines. i agree, it would be ABSOLOUTLEY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me:hi mum.
mum:hi brandon how was your day.
me: great great, percy took me to knapford station, then henry took me to school. then, at school we saw rosie go by pulling the circus train. then gorden took me back to knapford station and thomas took me home.
mum:sounds like you had a great time.
thomas (at nearby station): sounds like he did.

it would be as i said  ;D ;D :D :DABSOLOUTLEY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D ;D ;D

JLK2707

Nowhere in reality. It is an imaginary place.

branmas

Quote from: JLK2707 on July 22, 2011, 04:27:11 AM
Nowhere in reality. It is an imaginary place.
how do you know!? wheres your proof!?

BillingsRR

In a sense, Sodor IS real. The late Reverand put so much detail into his stories and the history of the Island, it is almost as real as some of the islands in the United Kingdom. Yes, there is no true Island of Sodor, but Sodor and its history still continues to grow with every word written by Chris Awdry. Sadly after he retires/passes away, the fate of the Island of Sodor will remain unknown. It is known Chris' son will not be taking over. The true Island of Sodor may die with the death of Chris.

TheJJ

Plus the better view for Gordon and episodes like that were based off of REAL accidents. So alot like Jamesis5 said is....Real.

Anthony P2

i think that was the only non-Awdry episode based off of a real event. and i didn't know Christopher Awdry had a son?

7029cluncastle

Everywhere you go in the UK there is something to do with Thomas.
Bodmin and Wenford Railway, Cornwall, its the home base for the locos Awdry based Bill and Ben on, the POrt of Par twins Alfred and Judy.
Talyllyn Railway, North Wales, home to Skarloey and all his gang.
Bluebell Railway, Stepney, Bluebell etc
Festiniog Railway, National Railway Museum...the list just keeps on going!!
Ive always dreamt of living on Sodor...
Kenny was walking along the road towards his house after school, he was walking alongside Thomas' branch line. He always waited by the level crossing to watch Thomas go by, then go home, have dinner before coming back in time for Thomas to take him to Tidmouth Sheds to listen to everyones stories of the day.
He waited by the gates, 'hmmm Thomas is late today, wonder whats keeping him?'
Just then he heard a cheerful toot. It wast Thomas though, it was Percy.
'Hello Kenny, how was school?' Percy asked as he pulled up.
'It was fine thanks, we are going on a school trip tomorrow!' Kenny replied.
'Where to?' Percy enquired.
'We are going to the steamworks!' Kenny answered happily.
'Sounds great!' he said, 'C'mon then, time to go to Tidmouth!'
So kenny hopped on board Percy and they went back to Tidmouth. They soon arrived to find Tidmouth sheds had been knocked down!!
'What happened here?!?!' exclaimed Kenny.
'Diesel 10 is what happened', Duck said sadly, he got the other diesels to knock down the sheds as they were better than the diesel sheds'.
Kenny and Percy looked on in shock...
If you want me to continue please feel free to message me and i will continue The Adventures of Kenny and his Friends...cheesy i know  :D
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

BillingsRR

Quote from: Anthony P2 on July 22, 2011, 08:57:43 PM
i think that was the only non-Awdry episode based off of a real event. and i didn't know Christopher Awdry had a son?

Nope, Chris has a son, Richard, but he is not taking over.