Help needed on removing roadname from steam loco and tender!

Started by N.H.&I.railfan, June 15, 2011, 10:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N.H.&I.railfan

Being unsuccessfull at acquiring an unpainted 2-8- 0 N-scale consolidation, I've decided to try removing the Reading name from a 20+ year-old "new in box" 2-8-0 I already have. Any suggestions on how to remove the roadname from the tender and the number on the loco without damaging or marring the loco and tender's underlying black finishes? Leaving visible signs of the Reading roadname or engine number would be unacceptable as I don't plan on a repaint or applying new decails where the Reading name was removed.  Any and all ideas on how to do this and materials you'd use would be greatly appreciated.

Doneldon

lionel-

There are as many ways to remove lettering as there are model rails. Some folks use Goo Gone on a Q-tip, some use denatured alcohol, others try various solvents or soaps. Stay away from anything with lacquer thinner or methylene unless a melted lump of plastic with a shape reminiscent of a locomotive is what you seek. Some people gently use very fine sandpaper and count on new decals and dull coat to cover any residual evidence of the original lettering. Some folks use a pencil eraser and new decals. I've actually had some success with that one, and also an extremely sharp, curved blade on a scalpel to slowly scrape the old letters off. Whatever you try, and you'll have many ideas within the next 48 hours, the key is to go as slowly as you can, and then go more slowly still. Try any possible solvent on an area which won't show, of course, before you hit the sides of a tender. Also, remember that there are lots of different materials used for lettering so you might have to try several substances before you find the one which removes the lettering in a reasonable amount of time and with minimal damage to the paint or underlying model.

Good luck!
                            -- D

jonathan

Lionelguy,

Doneldon is absolutely right, of course.  There are a bunch of ways to remove the lettering.  Depends on how much time you want to spend, and what your goal is.  Sounds like you want to leave your locos unnumbered/lettered.  This is the toughest to tackle.  Most methods require a certain amount of rubbing and will leave the finish a little shinier than the surrounding finish.

If I'm in a hurry, I use a 600 grit sanding stick, lightly dipped in some regular paint thinner, a tiny amount.  I can rub off the lettering and numbers on an entire locomotive in just a minute or two.  The finish underneath is still there but shinier.  No problem for me because I re-letter and renumber the locos, followed by a touch of dullcote.  Everything looks great afterwards.

If time is not important, and the underlying finish is important:

I have taken a toothpick, lightly touched with fingernail polish remover and gently rubbed each individual number.  It takes about 15 or 20  minutes to remove a single number, but the paint job underneath is unharmed.  I do not recommend this.  There is the possibility of ruining the finish underneath because fingernail polish remover is acetone and very caustic.  It works for me because of the small amount used and the slow method of delivery.  Takes practice.

The stamped on paint is pretty tough stuff.  There are some commercially available model chemicals available that claim to remove markings, but I haven't tried any, yet, so I can't comment on them.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

On another board, a note was posted that using brake fluid will do the job.  Again, use carefully, but it is supposed to remove the lettering without damaging the underlying paint.  In all cases, try it first on a non-visible part of the model (like the bottom of the tender).

fieromike

On another board, a note was posted that using brake fluid will do the job.  Again, use carefully, but it is supposed to remove the lettering without damaging the underlying paint.  In all cases, try it first on a non-visible part of the model (like the bottom of the tender).

Brake fluid is a oood paint  remover if you want all the paint removed, but not as a spot remover.

Mike

poliss

Jim Banner

Brake fluid will remove the lettering and the paint and turn the plastic to mush if it is the same plastic as used on early Atlas/Kato shells.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

armchairmodeller

DO NOT USE ANY SOLVENT!! if the body is plastic. Solvent will eat the plastic. Any "remover" will do what it says, i.e. REMOVE things including paint.

I would recommend a wooden cocktail stick or toothpick. This should be used with a large can of patience and a small bottle of light elbow grease. Go slowly and accurately. Do not scrub at it like you are trying to remove the mark of Cain, gentle rubbing will do it. The paint under the decals will have a "polished" finish after removal but this makes for a good surface to apply a new name or number decal/transfer which will diguise the "rub" marks. If possible apply a longer "name" than the original e.g. "City of Liverpool" replacing "City of York". Numbers are slightly easier as the crew would often give the number "a wipe" leaving a slightly polished appearance around the margins of the number.

A good axiom would be " Act in haste and repent at leisure". You may make a "quick" job of removal but you will be left with poor results forever. Take your time!.

Good luck.
Only when the last tree has been felled. Only when the last fish has been caught. Only when the last river has been poisoned.Only then will you realise that you cannot eat money.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Just curious whether anyone has any experience specifically with removing lettering from a Richmond 4-4-0?

I just got a really good deal on a modernized engine (steel cab, piston valves) because it had been a display model. It came lettered and numbered as Maryland & Pennsylvania #6. No offense to the Ma & Pa, but I'm thinking I'd like to remove the road name from the tender and probably the number from the cab.

If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in knowing what technique you used, and were you happy with the appearance of the paint afterward.

Thanks!

napa15

I watched a modeling tip at www.modelrailroader.com today where they guy soaked the tender shell in 91% isopropyl alcohol for about 30 minutes (until paint was flaking off) then used a toothbrush to scrub the rest off (paint being the decal). He then used a q-tip soaked in some pine-sol to carefully rub off the road number from the cab of the engine.