Kadee HO delayed uncoupler (#322)

Started by pacchardon, July 08, 2011, 01:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacchardon

I have been playing with the Kadee HO Magne-matic delayed uncoupler and Bachmann Silver Series rolling stock with the original couplers. Sometimes it works. Often it doesn't. Anyone have any advice about how to make it work consistently?

jward

adjust the trip pins to the kadee #205 coupler height guage. too low, the pins snag in the trackwork, too high they don't uncouple reliably. i would also invest in a set of trip pin pliers. they allow you to bend and straighten the pins without putting much pressure on the coupler head.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

The pliers are a must... also make sure your couplers open and close freely and that the coupler is straight and will will swing from side to side easily.

NM-Jeff

RAM

If I understand what you are saying.  You have one KD and One bachmann coupler and you a Trying to use the delay uncouple feature .  If both of them are KD's they will work.

jward

i think he's trying to use the bachmann couplers with a kadee uncoupling magnet.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pacchardon

Right. Bachmann couplers with a Kadee delayed uncoupler. I have ordered the coupler gauge and pliers. Thanks for the info
Paul

NarrowMinded

I don't think who makes the magnet would make any difference.

NM

Doneldon

Quote from: NarrowMinded on July 09, 2011, 12:38:19 AM
I don't think who makes the magnet would make any difference.

NM
Narrow-

Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on whether the uncoupler
magnets are of equal strength and have similar magnetic
field shapes.
                              -- D

Woody Elmore

Besides a coupler gauge and pliers, using Kadee Greasem or other graphite lubricant will get the Kadees to work their best. A little goes a long way. If you can't find the Kadee product, try a hardware store for graphite lubricant.

By the way, I don't think it would hurt to use a graphite lubricant with other makes of couplers.

I have Kadees that were made in the nineteen fifties and they work as well today as the day they were installed.

Maintainence is a must.

jward

kadee also offers a magnet gluing jig, which i've found helps get the magnet height correctit is a metal plate machined for the magnet & rails. you put the magnet on the jig, and shave the tops of the ties between the rails until the jig rests on the rails not the magnet. i use white glue to fasten the magnet to the ties, the jig holds everything in place overnight until the glue dries.

my experience has been that it doesn't matter what make of coupler you are using, they will all work with the kadee magnet. assuming, of course, the trip pins have been properly adjusted.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pacchardon

Everyone seems to think a lot of Kadee couplers. I was looking at the possibility of swapping out the Bachmann couplers with Kadee. It looks that I would want to use the #158's. Is it worth the trouble to do that?

Doneldon

Quote from: pacchardon on July 09, 2011, 04:31:46 PM
Everyone seems to think a lot of Kadee couplers. I was looking at the possibility of swapping out the Bachmann couplers with Kadee. It looks that I would want to use the #158's. Is it worth the trouble to do that?

pac-

Probably. You'll always get the best operation when both couplers of
a mating pair are the same brand. This is most notable when
attempting to couple on a curve.
                                                    -- D

jward

i generally use whatever came with the car or locomotive until it fails, then replace it with kadee 148. i am not convinced that the "scale" couplers would be as reliable as their smaller size would make their alignment, and your trackwork, even more critical.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA