News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fast Loco

Started by robogo, July 05, 2011, 02:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robogo

Want to get a new Locomotive for my Mainline, something that is a bit faster than the Shay, any suggestions?

On page 244 of the 2011 Bachmann Catalog it states that the Baldwin 4-6-0 performs best on 18'' radius curves or greater, on page 245 it states 22'' radius curves, is it allright on 18'' curves?

Is the 2-8-0 Consolidation a bad idea for a Mainline which contains some 18'' curves?

ebtnut

Both the 4-6-0 and the 2-8-0 are OK on 18" curves, as are the Rogers and Baldwin 4-4-0's.  Typically, a 2-8-0 is a freight engine, while 4-6-0's were often used in both freight and passenger service.  The 4-4-0 traditionally was a passenger engine, though in the later steam era the few remaining might also be used for light local freight work or mixed train service. 

ebtnut

OK, my bad.  I'm writing about HO models when I'm on the On30 board.  I think the OF 2-8-0 and the 4-6-0 will handle 18" curves, and the IF 4-4-0 almost certainly, but for On30, 22" is better for both operational and appearance purposes.  The original 2-6-0 will handle 18" curves with no problems, and you can pick those up at pretty reasonable prices.  My comments as to the types of service for each wheel arrangement still hold.