News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

la junta

Started by jboot111, July 05, 2011, 11:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboot111

there is a steam engine in la junta colorado and it is a 2-6-2 and i was wondering what type it is

pics to come

J3a-614

jboot111

that is her but she has been restored

i have climbed on it a couple times now

it is quite fun

Doneldon

jboot-

The loco in La Junta is a 2-6-2 Prairie. Prairies were pretty successful and versatile engines but they came along at the wrong time. They were a hot commodity at the turn of the 20th Century but the movement to super power locomotives which started soon after that resulted in railroads building and buying Prairies for a very short time. The other big change which hurt the 2-6-2 was the advent of purpose-built locomotives. Prairies worked well in both general freight and passenger service but early 20th Century engineering allowed them to build fast passenger locos, heavy drag freighters, powerful but fast engines for manifest freights and so on.

Those two issues doomed the Prairies. For example, the Santa Fe had several hundred Prairies but all except a handfull were built right around 1900. I've always thought that Prairies had good lines and a pleasing balance between power and speed. The railroads liked them enough to keep many in service for 40 or more years, but the new locomotives were super power, specialized machines which could be tailored for optimal (and therefore efficient and economical) performance on specific jobs.
                                              -- D

RAM

The 1800s were good freight locomotives.  They also worked the yards and even used as helpers.  I am sure it was the last live Santa Fe steam locomotive that I had the joy of climbing up into the cab.  I think it was in the summer of 1951. 

Doneldon

RAM-

You're right about the 1800 Class Prairies. And they were used in helper service. It kind of surprised me when I first saw photos of a Prairie in helper service but they put quite a bit of tractive effort on the rails and spent much of their lives doing helper service, even on Raton and El Cajon.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D