News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Favorite Spot?

Started by choo choo papa, July 08, 2011, 10:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choo choo papa

Can anyone tell me what happened to "The favorite Spot" bachmann E-bay store/hobbyshop. Did they give up on e-bay, whats up, anyone know.

jward

they are starting their own web site. you can sign up for a newsletter.

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/

i for one will be glad not to have to deal with pay pal anymore.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

darryl1936

Since eBay has decided to charge (GREED) 9% even on top of shipping too plus Pay Pal then charges 3% on what's left, many are leaving or not selling on eBay.  It's the pits to try to list and have to allow for the fees on shipping when they take $1.20 out of say $10.00 for shipping.  I have had a few people ask my why I charge so much for shipping for the On30 stuff I sell on eBay and after explaining eBay fee of 9% on shipping, they then understand.

choo choo papa

Quote from: jward on July 08, 2011, 10:37:51 AM
they are starting their own web site. you can sign up for a newsletter.

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/

i for one will be glad not to have to deal with pay pal anymore.

thanks for the heads up, I am glad they are going to be around. Speaking of E-Bay.....I have to sell alot of HO so to expand my On30 for my new layout, wish me luck.. ::)

bobwrgt

They take a vacation in the summer. They will be back on ebay in the fall.

Bob

NarrowMinded

Ebay fee's verge on criminal... they have everything set up so they collect from all sides.  taking a cut of shipping resulted from people flip flopping the Item cost and shipping cost to avoid the fee's. I used to see a lot of items from Hong Kong listed that way.

NM

ScottyB

Don't panic!  He's on his summer break, same as every year.  I think TFS usually restocks their virtual shelves in early August.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

drgw268

Quote from: darryl1936 on July 08, 2011, 01:49:20 PM
Since eBay has decided to charge (GREED) 9% even on top of shipping too plus Pay Pal then charges 3% on what's left, many are leaving or not selling on eBay.  It's the pits to try to list and have to allow for the fees on shipping when they take $1.20 out of say $10.00 for shipping.  I have had a few people ask my why I charge so much for shipping for the On30 stuff I sell on eBay and after explaining eBay fee of 9% on shipping, they then understand.

9% on items that sell, so you can start selling with no cash down.  eBay provides a remarkable service and access to a market the average hobby shop website can only dream of having.

Best of luck to them, of course, but I think they'll find that advertising costs, web hosting, and credit card fees will quickly eclipse ebay fees. 

NarrowMinded

drgw268,

With the volume they sell and the new credit card fee laws I doubt their internet cost will be even close to the total cost of ebay fee's

NM

surveyorbill

We like the Favorite Spot too. We quit using Ebay and paypal for all kinds of reasons. Try Ebid.com which is like Ebay was at first. It is growing and is viable.  ;)

NarrowMinded

Ebid seems to be nothing more then a catch all advertiser site. nothing like the original ebay that I can see.

I get the better results typing on30 into google

Just my two cents

NM-Jeff

mabloodhound

Quote from: drgw268 on July 09, 2011, 09:40:21 PM
Quote from: darryl1936 on July 08, 2011, 01:49:20 PM

Best of luck to them, of course, but I think they'll find that advertising costs, web hosting, and credit card fees will quickly eclipse ebay fees. 

Not true!   A web site host can be had for $44 a year.   Credit Card processors can be found for $7.95 month plus % charges; no where near what e-bay/PayPal charges and with TFS volume he will be ahead of the game.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

lvrr325

eBay actually did a dumb thing here.  Make your primary shipping option free - pick up in person, and you pay no fee.   Anymore I list a lot of things that way. 

NarrowMinded

Hmmm So if I do that pickup free thing they don't charge a fee in the final value. But is it the same if you print labels through paypal?

I'm gonna have to try this

Thanks
NM-Jeff

ScottyB

Ray at TFS is back from vacation and he's all stocked up now.

FWIW, I've never had a bad experience with him.  A few dozen transactions.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.