News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC train sets

Started by jsdranger, July 08, 2011, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsdranger

Does Bachmann offer a train set that already has the DCC chips built in to the locomotive and is ready to run using a DCC controler out of the box. 

Example.  Is the Bachmann Trains Digital Commander Ready - To - Run DCC - Equipped Ho Train Set ready to run out of the box using a DCC controler?  I see that it says "ready-to-run DCC", but does that mean it is DCC ready and i have to add a chip to be fully DCC or do the locomotives already have the DCC chip in them and i can take them out of the box, program them to the DCC controler and i am off and running?

Please advise
Thank you
Jason

ACY

The Digital Commander set has locos with DCC and a system, the Dynamis Sound Commander set has a loco with DCC and sound and a dynamis system, the Cavalier has a DCC loco but not a DCC system, the Acela Express® Set has a DCC loco but not system, and the Steam and Diesel Digital Commander sets have DCC locos and systems.

jsdranger

so than your answer is yes, the digital commander set is ready to run DCC straight out of the box, no need for adding the chips or anything like that?

Do you know if the digital commander set has sound or that requires a different DCC chip?

Hate to ask all these questions but i am such a Novice when it comes to trains and there is so much information to digest that sometimes my brain is smoking and i just am not sure

thanks for the help

ACY

No sound and sound would be very difficult for a novice to install in the locomotives included in that set. But other locomotives like the Bachmann 2-8-0 would be a good choice to install sound in. The Dynamis sets include a 2-8-0 locomotive with DCC and sound and an advanced DCC system.

jsdranger

Awesome, thanks for the information.

if i bought Digital Commander set the brought locos to a train store, they could add the sound to them? and the sound could than be controlled by the controller in the Digital Commander set?

Thanks again, the info is extremely helpful

ACY

Quote from: jsdranger on July 08, 2011, 03:13:28 PM
if i bought Digital Commander set the brought locos to a train store, they could add the sound to them? and the sound could than be controlled by the controller in the Digital Commander set?
They either wouldn't do it or would charge a ton of money because the locomotives do not really have enough space to install sound, it can be done, but it involves a lot of work which means it would cost you a good bit of money. I would not bother trying to put sound in them until you are more experienced, and able to do the install yourself.

jward

if you were going to get a sound chip you'd probably want a better dcc system like the dynamis or one of the other brands of dcc. i doubt you could control many of the sound functions with the basic ez command unit, it is about as stripped down a dcc system as you can buy.  also note that sound decoders run $50 to $100 or more new, and probanly at least another $50 is you want somebody to install them. if you want dcc and sound right off the bat, then you'd want the dynamis sound commander set #01402.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jsdranger

Thanks ACY & jward, that is very helpful info

is there a set you could recommend for purchasing that has 2 locos that are DCC equiped and ready to run out of the box that offers sound?  I am looking for the more modern style locos like the ones offered in the digital commander set

Thanks

ACY

Quote from: jsdranger on July 08, 2011, 03:36:04 PM
is there a set you could recommend for purchasing that has 2 locos that are DCC equiped and ready to run out of the box that offers sound?  I am looking for the more modern style locos like the ones offered in the digital commander set
There are no train sets that include 2 locos with DCC and sound, there are no train sets that offer diesel or electric locomotives with sound. If you want diesel of electric locomotives with sound your best bet is buying them separately, note that Bachmann does not have any diesel or electric locomotives with sound.

Actually, I misspoke, one such train set exists, but it retails for $2000 (two-thousand dollars, not a typo). It is a CP FP9 A-B-A set all 3 locos have DCC and sound, you can break up the set to have an A-B set and a single A unit.
To buy an individual diesel or electric loco with DCC and sound, you will probably pay at least $200 a locomotive.

jward

if you want diesels with sound, already installed, you should be looking at broadway limited, atlas, or proto2000. you'll have to buy the dcc system and locomotives seperately. good entry level systems with full sound capabilities would include digitrax zephyr xtra, and nce power cab.  note that these systems will allow you full access to the sound functions of your decoder, and will run non-sound equipped locomotives as well.

on a related note, the bachmann gp7 has provisions for mounting a speaker in the fuel tank area. i believe the rs3 has one as well. there are good sound decoders available for these locomotives. as somebody who has spent my whole life around the real ones, i am impressed with how real the sound decoders for these two are.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA