News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Timing

Started by conradin, July 01, 2007, 03:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

Does anyone know when does Kader takes over Bachmann?  Or more specifically, when did the company start making trains in China as opposed to Hong Kong? 

I've read that Kader took over in 1984, but in my 1980 catalog, Bachmann was still "Bachmann Brothers".  In fact, the old logo was in effect in 1977.  By 1979 they changed the logo to the current one.  Then in my 1982 catalog Bachmann is now refered as "Bachmann industries".  The catalog was printed in January 1982..so was the takeover happened in 1981?

The major reason why I like to know is the constant changing of catalog numbers of the same models.  And there are some very minute changes in the models, ranging from different road numbers, to different materials for the knuckle springs, to whether it is a plastic plug or a metal screw to hold the trucks onto the chassis, and even the size of the mold of the actual locos.  The numbering system is extremely confusing during the 80s.   By the latter half of the 80s the product lines more or less remains the same as today. 

Case in point.  The truck of my 3dome Shell tank car (Silver series) does not fit quite right.  So naturally I get another tank to do a body change.  I have an extra Hooker (China, from the white paper box period), and promptly found out that even though both were made in China, it is not the same.

So anyone has any idea about the following time line?
1.  When did Bachmann start using blue jewel cases as opposed to the original white jewel case with gold letters?
2.  When did Bachmann start using black jewel cases as opposed to the blue jewel cases?
3.  When did the trains start being packaged in the white paper boxes?
4.  When did the trains start being packaged in the modern jewel cases?

RAM

I don't know, but since Hong Kong is part of China, do they still mark thing "made in Hong Kong.

conradin

Yes.  Hong Kong is still a semi independent country.  Basically instead of having a British governor, they now have a governor appointed by China.  Everything else remains the same.  For example, they retain their own team for the Soccer World Cup, Olympic team, etc.   Think of it as the relations between US and Puerto Rico, or US and the Virgin Islands...