News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

s4 question

Started by jward, July 09, 2011, 01:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

first, thanks you for making affordable sound equipped diesels. the alco fa2 and s4 are both appreciated.

i have one question concerning the s4. mrc had made a sound decoder for the atlas s4 which used the sounds for an alco 244 engine, not the 539 used in the s4. as such it was more appropriate for the rs3 or fa2 than the rs3. the difference in the sound of the 539 and 244 was quite pronounced, with the alco s4 having a distinctive whitsling chug.

will the bachmann  s4 have the correct sound of the 539 and not the 244? if the answer is yes i am in love......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BestSnowman

I agree, hopefully the DCC ready versions of new diesel models are sound ready too for those of us that want to add it later.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

i'd think they would be. after all, it wouldn't make much sense to have two different versions of frames made for the same locomotive. the gp7 had the holes drilled in the fuel tank and the frame under the motor milled for speakers when released two years ago.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BestSnowman

I admit it wouldn't make sense to have two different frames however it's not unheard of. I have an Athearn SD45T-2 that was available in both sound equipped and DCC Ready versions. Unfortunately the DCC Ready version was not sound friendly.

If Bachmann is making sound friendly diesel locomotives I'd like them to start advertising it. It would be a huge selling point for people like me that want to eventually upgrade to sound without finding someone with a milling machine.

Bachmann, while you are at it a sound ready EMD switcher would be nice :)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

i second that, how about a cow and calf set of some sort.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA